AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Temperature frustrations...
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/21/2007 02:41 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/21/2007 02:41 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
lowlymarine

I recently put together a new desktop, and at the heart lies an AM2 Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (65W). I'm having some difficultly in determining whether or not my cooling is all working properly, though.

My motherboard's BIOS reports inane temperatures - 37C immediately upon getting into it, climbing all the way up to about 46C if I just sit in the BIOS. That seems unreasonable, even using the stock HSF with AS5. I've made sure the heatsink is firmly in place, no wobbliness or anything, and I followed the AS5 instructions to a tee. In Windows, the ASUS PC Probe II utility echoes the motherboards temperatures - spiking up to 57C during full load! Furthermore, nTune doesn't even report CPU temperature. So I'm obviously perturbed, and go online to find a possible solution. I come across SpeedFan and Core Temp to monitor from the CPU temperature diodes. And sure enough - CoreTemp reports my idle temps to be 32C on one core and 29C on the other, after the machines been on for some time - much lower than the ASUS utility's 44C. Even at full load (as tested by the multi-threaded version of Prime95 I got off a thread here), one core reaches a peak of about 48C, and the other 46C. SpeedFan shows both the ASUS motherboard sensors, and two others labeled "Core0" and "Core1" that match up to the Core Temp readings. My question, obviously, is this - what's right? SpeedFan and Core Temp, or the motherboard diode? I'm running on the assumption that it's Core Temp, if only mostly because I like it's numbers better.

As an aside, at a 10% OC (2.42GHz), Core temp reports 55C max on one core and 53C on the other - while the ASUS utility reports a flustering 71C. But the air inside the case, and even feeling the heatsink itself, while toastily warm, doesn't seem to support the notion that the processor is running at 71C.
 01/21/2007 04:38 PM

Author Icon
Spengo

Something is wrong yes - i would say that updating the BIOS would be the first way to go - as well as downloding the CPUZ software (type CPUZ into google) - open this up once it has extracted and press "print screen sys req" - go to paint and paste. Then save the file as JPEG and upload it to photobucket or something of the like - then link us to it.

Cheers - Spengo

-------------------------
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
 01/21/2007 06:03 PM

Author Icon
lowlymarine

I have the latest BIOS from ASUS (0702), along with the dual-core hotfix from M$ and the AMD processor driver. As you can see, it's identified properly by Windows everywhere, and it definitely runs like a dual core ought (multiple intensive applications don't slow it down).

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information