AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 64 w/ XP 32b (mouse error)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2007 06:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2007 06:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
rareynolds

Having a few problems, but only one that is vaguely easy to explain.

Running an AMD 64 3800+, have XP-home installed (that's how it came from alienware)

Tried installing a new optical/wireless mouse from Logitech, (same as my wife is running on her dell with no problems) and the problem I run into is that the cursor will jump to the left or top of the screen more or less at random.

I've already tried going through all the logitech and microsoft related troubleshooting to no avail, so I'm guessing this leaves it as something else in my box that is causing the problem. I'm kinda shooting in the dark here thinking that it's something to do with the 64b processor 32b OS combination, but it makes a strange kind of sense if you think about overflow...

When troubleshooting this problem I have already verified that it is not the mouse, reciever, difference of USB connected to Monitor-hub or direct to PC, and any Microsoft or Logitech mouse related settings. The only other item of not is when the mouse acceleration is turned WAY down (2' real movement translating to 1" on a 1900x1200) I see that it doesn't actually jump to the top/left wall anymore, merely jumping significantly more than any input it could realistically recieve (4-6" movement in <<1s).

I was looking into changing over to XP professional 64 for a few reasons, though none enough to push me off the fence...until this was added. The only other problem I can attempt to explain is that I find I also have strangely intermittent periods where the machine starts responding sluggishly (as if CPU usage had increased noticably, such as with a virus scan turning on during another program using it heavily) yet tabbing out and checking Task Manager shows nothing odd running and normal/low usage that is at odds with the experience.

*note, I have already found that my CPU-fan is particularly susceptible to dust accumulation/overheating. Thankfully I have a hideously irritating audible warning that lets me know that 3months have gone by and it's time to crack the case and blow the dust out again.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd hate to try XP 64 only to find that it addresses none of the currently annoying problems.
 02/26/2007 10:36 AM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Most likely this is not a Windows error, but instead a driver error or a mouse error. What I would try is removing the mouse driver, if you installed one,, and seeing if this has an effect. I would also change over to the other mouse you have that is of the same model and see if that makes a difference. I.e. change over to the mouse that your wifes computer has and see if you see the same problem.

As far as the sluggish feeling, you could try a windows reinstall of all things but it could be a number of things.

Overall I am leading towards this not being a windows problem but a mouse problem. Just as an example, I have a couple mice that are like yours, after going to use them from a very long break they will also jump at first, but these are my cheaper MSFT mice. Never had a problem with my more expensive logitech or MSFT mice. Don't know what to say.
 02/26/2007 01:32 PM

Author Icon
Camthrax

im not really sure about yor problem, sorry man, but i thought i would just clarify something for you: it's not the 32-64bit clash, becasue the vast majority of 64 bit processor user's are running 32 bit, taht's what most software is written for.

don't the logitech mice require driver's? or am i on the completly wrong track here?

-------------------------

Work requires research. thus, the Camthraxinator has returned.
AYB Proof that all your base are belong to Queen.

Proud Owner of a bass that's pickups are worth more than the bass itself.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information