Increase font size
Topic Title: Uninstalling Old Drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/26/2007 03:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/26/2007 03:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PurpleYFronts

Hi all, I know this has been covered before, but I have not found the problem solved as yet.

I am trying to install the most recent drivers for my Athlon 64 x2 4600. The current drivers shown in my device manager for both cores shows as version 1.1.0.0. dated 25/04/2004. The name of the driver file itself is AMDK8. Now, I know little about these sorts of things, but I tend to try and keep my system up to speed though somehow this is baffling me.

When I attempt to update with the July2006 version, it tells me I must first uninstall the old drivers from my add/remove programs list. However, it is neither listed under AMD or under Windows Updates List. I have CCleaner installed, it doesnt show up there either. I cannot find an uninstall string, though I'm not 100% sure what sring I would be looking for.

If anyone could help it would be much appreciated.

PS. Note to AMD, would it be possible for you to build an uninstaller into your updates so it removes old versions prior to installing the new version?

Thx, hope you can help!!
 02/26/2007 10:23 PM

Author Icon
flippin_waffles

I can't remember for certain (old age and all that! ), but isn't there an option in the driver package to uninstall or remove? Seems to me you can uninstall the driver within the driver package before installing, if that makes any sense. If not, you should be able to uninstall them through the device manager. Right click and choose uninstall, under the processor tree. Alternatively, you could double click, then choose the driver tab and then the uninstall option.
 02/28/2007 06:27 AM

Author Icon
rootkowski

Hi there!
I have a very similar problem. Though I can see "Athlon 64 Processor Driver" in the Add or Remove Programs window it doesn't work. When I try to uninstall the old driver I get an error message: Setup.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. I figured out it's about the setup.exe file from the Installshield thingy. But knowing that doesn't help. I still cannot install a new driver or uninstall the old one. The method of uninstalling it trough the Device manager doesn't work for me either. I rolled back the driver (to some crapy MS version) but that didn't help at all. The version I'm trying to install is the latest 1.3.2.16 and the one i'm trying to get rid of is 1.2.2.0.
I'll be greatful for any suggestions. Thanks a lot!!!
 02/28/2007 08:15 AM

Author Icon
rootkowski

In other posts I found a solution. It's about deleting the registry folder: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD\CPU
I exported the folder first for backup (you know, just i case). Anyway, it WORKED!!! I have installed the newest driver and so far it's running nicely
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information