Increase font size
Topic Title: HEAT
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2004 07:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2004 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
@ssman

Food for thought.
There’s allot of posts here trying to figure out why computers crash and have system lockups. Several years ago I read an article on silicon chips.
The articles point was that silicon chips are not perfect and have slight microscopic defects/imperfections and they’re common. Heat causes resistance. Your chips heat up, the electrical current then can’t jump or transit through the defect because of the increased resistance. . Bam your computer locks up; you get the blue screen kiss of death. Your problem usually re-occurs during certain processes, gaming to be the most frequent, because of the high load/heat/resistance. Now here’s the hard part, which chip is causing the problem? It could be anywhere, CPU, MB, graphics, sound card etc…
Several years ago I had a computer that always locked up during my favorite game. Tinkering too much, I accidentally killed the mobo. I didn’t tell Tyan it was my fault and they replaced my board. Guess what? My favorite game never locked up with the new exact board.
I thought I’d share this; it won’t make your problem go away, but its food for thought!

-------------------------
AMD64 3200/754
GEFORCE 6800
MB AOPEN AK86L VIA K8T800
1GB MUSHKIN PC3200
TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ SOUND CARD
ALTEC LANSING 641s 200W SPEAKERS

11/02/2004 09:05 PM

Author Icon
RedDevils529

Hey, that makes a lot of sense, cos i use to have the XFX nforce 2 motherboard and it always crashes with the blue screen on me when i'm running XP, so i let my friend tried the processor on his motherboard which is the exact same one cos we bought it the same time. I remember posting bout the problems on this forum before. well the athlon xp 2800 worked perfect on his motherboard and no problem with xp, so i just got me an athlon 64. But yeah, what u said made a lot of sense ssman

-------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle Core
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
512MB DDR PC3200
ATI All In Wonder Radeon 9600XT 128MB
Sound Blaster Live! Platinum
 11/03/2004 07:30 PM

Author Icon
nerdyfetus

Try getting a kick butt cooler like the Volcano 12 from thermaltake! That baby moves 71.2 CFM of air past a big, copper heatsink. Too bad it weighs loads lol.
 11/04/2004 02:14 PM

Author Icon
speeder

QUOTE (@ssman @ Nov 2 2004, 03:34 PM) Food for thought.
There’s allot of posts here trying to figure out why computers crash and have system lockups. Several years ago I read an article on silicon chips.
The articles point was that silicon chips are not perfect and have slight microscopic defects/imperfections and they’re common. Heat causes resistance. Your chips heat up, the electrical current then can’t jump or transit through the defect because of the increased resistance. . Bam your computer locks up; you get the blue screen kiss of death. Your problem usually re-occurs during certain processes, gaming to be the most frequent, because of the high load/heat/resistance. Now here’s the hard part, which chip is causing the problem? It could be anywhere, CPU, MB, graphics, sound card etc…
Several years ago I had a computer that always locked up during my favorite game. Tinkering too much, I accidentally killed the mobo. I didn’t tell Tyan it was my fault and they replaced my board. Guess what? My favorite game never locked up with the new exact board.
I thought I’d share this; it won’t make your problem go away, but its food for thought!
Well I agree with you that chips can have defects but heat doesn't rise resistence.
Have you ever heard of the avalanche effect? That happens because resistence goes down with the heat so it increses de current and more current increses heat and heat decreses resistence.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information