Increase font size
Topic Title: Win xp not installing on new system
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/18/2004 04:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/18/2004 04:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zxoltar

the new system I just put together is below, have flashed the bios already with 1005, am using the viaraid drivers 220d.

just got my replacement hard drive as the original was doa, this drive is recognized, and formats when starting winxp setup, when it starts to copy files I either get numerous failed to copy such and such file, where it will eventually give me a bsod: page fault in nonpaged area, or it will bsod immediately when starting to copy files with the page fault error.

have moved memory around, tried different dvd drive to run the setup from etc. removed the soundcard and anything that is not needed to get winxp setup initially and nothing helps.

if anyone has an idea or has seen this before and how to fix please let me know.

-------------------------

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
Folding for team 34106' ">http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/
 03/18/2004 04:40 PM

Author Icon
randy2

It's most likely going to be the memory. You can try lowering the speed and timings etc, but the bottom line is going to probably lead to replacing it. To confirm, try loading Win98 or Me up, if that goes OK, then you can be fairly confident the memory is the culprit. 98 will not demand what NT does at installation.
 03/18/2004 05:01 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

ok I have 2x512mb of mushkin lvl 2 special 222 memory.

in my bios for memory timings i have the following options:

memclock mode: auto ( will set to manual to change the timings)
bank interleaving: auto
cas latency: auto
trc: auto
trfc: auto
trcd: auto
twr: auto
trwt: auto
tras: auto
trp: auto
ddr clock delay auto

any help with the proper timings to change to would be most appreciated. thx

LVSeminole says: "Prescott does have its uses tho.....1:its the butt of alot of jokes....2:Its a 2-in-1 thing....CPU/Space heater."
 03/18/2004 05:03 PM

Author Icon
JesterOnYEr6

Try setting bios to fail safe defaults load windows then play with timmings

Phenom 9600 BE @ 2.5 ghz | Ati HD2900XT | OCZ Titanium XTC DDR800 4Gigs | MSI K9A2 Platinum | XFi Xtreme | Zalman 9700 | Enermax 620W | Dell 2405 | G7 | G15
 03/18/2004 05:32 PM

Author Icon
randy2

Well,
you should be able to set the memory to run at 333mhz somehwere in there. The problem is, that Mushkin is respected in the memory field, and your memory should run where it is set at now. I think you should call Mushkin and tell them what is going on and they will get more on the way to you ASAP. In other words, your not going to be happy running your memory @ 333 anyway, so may as well get it replaced now.
 03/18/2004 07:43 PM

Author Icon
zxoltar

found this on Mushkins site:

A very trivial explanation is that the controller expects that the memory is as fast as it itself but we don't have memory yet running at a 2 GHz and beyond clock rate. What it comes down to is that, depending on the BIOS tuning (by the manufacturer), the read command is issued a bit too early and violates the tRCD. The workaround is to add one additional cycle to the actual memory latency, that is, a 2:2:2-rated DIMM will run stable at 2:3:2; a 2:3:2 rated module will, most likely, need to be set to 2:4:2 in order to run stable (where the latencies are CAS:tRCD:tRP)

so maybe i can luck out and set my tRCD to 3 and it all be ok. crosses fingers for when i get home from work.

03/18/2004 09:56 PM

Author Icon
AliasNeo

get the via drivers disk for the raid and when xp install says hit F6 hit it and i think at the end it will get the drivers for it...(make sure you have the disk in)
 03/19/2004 12:08 AM

Author Icon
zxoltar

yep I had already done the F6 thing.

but have great news

am posting this from my new awesome AMD64 rig. booya.

all it was was the mem timings, needed to change from the default 222 to 232.

this puppy flies.

03/21/2004 02:45 PM

Author Icon
vansouza

What about trying a different CD ROM? That worked in my case...
 03/23/2004 04:38 AM

Author Icon
cyberknight

OH Man I dont know if this is whats going on with my sytem or not It sounds the same. I just recieved from new egg My Asus K8v Deluxe, AMD 64 3400, Mushkin 512mb pc3200 There black High Perf series 2,2,2 special. SATA Maxtor 80gig 8meg cache. TI Radeon 9600pro 128, NZXT Case 420w power supply. SO as you can guess I am so stoked when i get it. I take my time reading first, not that I dont know what I am doing. But just making sure. I install the system and go to boot up for the first time. All goes well I spend some time browsing the BOIS and then proceed to install win xp pro. Just a tad into the install I get the BSOD. So I reboot and try again. This time I dont even make it to the install screen. and all goes black. So I reboot and check the temps on the cpu cpu is running like 42c or 106f I thought that was kina high? So i shut it down and check everything over connections and such. Let it cool down. I go to start up again and I make it this time a little ways into install and get the BSOD. So im thinking my cpu was overheating. But this sounds alot like you Mushkin Mem Problem.
I dont know alot about setting the cas latencies because this is well the first system I have built where it was important. If yall coule walk me through how to set thse cas latency deals to give this a shot before I send CPU back to new egg that would be Great. Thanks cyberknight
 03/23/2004 07:04 AM

Author Icon
randy2

Hey that is great news. I'm sure a lot of people can use that timing info to avoid some painful troubleshooting. Even though those are some great timings, I would still like to hear what Mushkin say's about not running 2-2-2.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information