Topic Title: Read Brisbane Temperature?
Topic Summary: Can't find an accurate program
Created On: 05/31/2007 01:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/11/2007 03:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Oh I'd love to, but I'm currently working on my Porsche project "vehicle" and my hands and money are tied at the moment. LOL, a few weeks ago would have been a different story. But here's a question for you. My 939 scoket FX-60 is kinda of getting warm. I'm using the stock heatsink/fan and I'm hitting 63C at times when pushing it. I have a lot of fans in the right areas doing the right stuff. I have a feeling I applied too much thermal paste. Should I try going the Artic Silver 5 paste way and applying that stuff properly or is there a better heatsink/fan solution out there with better noise and temperature levels. I know the AM2 chips are a bit different but I'm thinking if you found something better for your AM2 socket that the same kind in 939 guise would work the same...

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 06/11/2007 10:43 AM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

PR14, the stock cooler is really not bad at all when cleanly installed. I am currently using the Zalman CNPS 9500 AM2, and it is both effective and quiet. My motherboard has a heat pipe to cool the chip set, and the Zalman fan can be installed to pull air across the memory modules and blow directly across the heat exchanger -- fits well and cools well. Check your own clearances, and be sure to order the correct package for your socket.

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 06/11/2007 08:12 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Tell me if this makes sense. My ATI HD2900XT finally arrived today. I pulled my two ATI X1600 Pro's and installed it. I had to removed my southbride and northbridge fans I added to the motherboard so it would fit nicely and I had to removed my VGA fan and ducting as it was too tight, and anyways the HD 2900XT is covered so not like it would have done too much. My CPU and motherboard temps are all down 5 degrees across the board (pun intedned). Something doesn't make sense as I heard this VPU puts out alot of heat and I figured it would add to the heat in the chassis. Plus I had to remove my heatsink fans I added to the passive coolers on my mobo. Right now as I type, it's noticeably quieter. At full load it sounds as loud as before. I haven't measured or done any scientific calculations to back this up. So I guess I have my quieter case and lower temperatures now that I was looking for, but in a very strange way. I should also note, that my Antec Neo HE 550 powers the HD 2900XT sufficiently. My APC backup reports 240watts total system power at idle. That also includes the LCD, printer, router and all that plugged into it also. At full load I am hitting around 320 watts. Either the APC program is FUBAR or I think it was all a marketing ploy to get the new power supplies to power this card. By the way you can use a paper clip to join the two extra sensor leads if you don't have an 8-pin PCI-E power cable to unlock the Overdrive feature. I haven't done this as I don't need to push my card yet. But that's the update on my situation on a 30 degree sunny day outside and 25 degrees in the house!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

06/24/2007 10:28 AM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Originally posted by: PorscheRacer14

Tell me if this makes sense. My ATI HD2900XT finally arrived today. I pulled my two ATI X1600 Pro's and installed it ... removed my VGA fan and ducting as it was too tight ... My CPU and motherboard temps are all down 5 degrees across the board

Well, you replaced two video cards with one, and removed some interference with air flow. And maybe the new video card has a better fan as well. I'd say you did good!

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 06/24/2007 05:45 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I applied some OCZ 5+ silver paste to my stock cooler and this solved all my heat problems. In fact, besides the HD 2900XT making it's noise (which is less now withe less case heat) it pretty much sounds like a 3800+. It's cool and quiet. I turned off Qfan for my chassis fan as this was causing my fan to turn off or run really slow. It's an Antec 120mm fan with a temperature sensor. This solved the dead trapped hot air from the CPU and probably pulls some heat from the video card too. So after a year I pretty much have what I want. I good, fast, reliable, cool and quiet computer. I also manually adjusted my FVID voltage as on auto setting it was feeding in 1.41 volts for some reason. Now it's at 1.36 volts and that helps a bunch plus stability from the reduced voltage and heat is very nice now. I guess it's kind of like my auto teacher told us in high-school. An engine (or computer which is technically an analytical engine in it's early days) has many parts. Take just 5 of those parts and run them at 99% and hears what you get. 99%x99%x99%x99%x99%=95.1% effeciency or increased failure. Everything needs to be at 100% or as near as we can get. There's also a calculation on over 100%, but I can't remember it, which shows how stressing things increases failure. Anyways, that's the scoop. Thanks again!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

07/25/2007 05:31 PM

Author Icon
Caffeinated

Count me as another user with a Brisbane temperature issue. Every app reports something different. For instance, a few minutes ago with my box up CoreTemp and Everest said that my CPU was at 16C in a 74F ambient room - I think not!

It reports insanely high one day, and insanely low another. I called AMD today, and got blown off. They told me there was absolutely no problem with the Brisbane core (even though I tried a Windsor in my MB and it reported correctly - 34C idle - 45C full load for an hour) and that my motherboard was to blame.

AMD X2 4000+ Brisbane
Arctic Freezer Pro 64 HSF Assembly
G.SKILL PC2-6400 DDR2 1GB x 2
Abit AN9-SLI Fatal1ty - BIOS revision 9.16 (7/10/07)
PNY Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Seagate S-ATA 320GB X 2
LG Electronics 18X DVD±RW-DVDRAM
XClio Greatpower 550 W PSU
Cooler Master Centurion 5
 07/25/2007 05:36 PM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Originally posted by: Caffeinated

I called AMD today, and got blown off. They told me there was absolutely no problem with the Brisbane core

That is one of the frustrating aspects of this failure -- it really undermines AMD's credibility to pretend that the errors do not exist.

This issue might be worth a column for one of the guys at InfoWorld.

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 07/25/2007 06:01 PM

Author Icon
Caffeinated

The guy that wrote CoreTemp called AMD and they told him it was broken...and yet tech support claims they have never heard of the issue. Yeah, right, and my CPU really is at 60F in a 74F room on air.

Every hardware forum on the web has people complaining about it, with Asus, Abit, Biostar, etc. motherboards.

I guess technical support is instructed to lie and pretend they aren't aware of it.

AMD X2 4000+ Brisbane
Arctic Freezer Pro 64 HSF Assembly
G.SKILL PC2-6400 DDR2 1GB x 2
Abit AN9-SLI Fatal1ty - BIOS revision 9.16 (7/10/07)
PNY Geforce 8800 GTS 640MB
Creative Labs X-FI Xtreme Gamer
Seagate S-ATA 320GB X 2
LG Electronics 18X DVD±RW-DVDRAM
XClio Greatpower 550 W PSU
Cooler Master Centurion 5

Edited: 07/25/2007 at 06:03 PM by Caffeinated
 07/25/2007 11:42 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Yeah I think we've mostly run out of ideas to fix it from a software level. This is a hardware issue. There's AMD's tech support and then there is the Forum's tech support

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/28/2007 02:24 PM

Author Icon
Toby1

I have a AMD X2 4400+ toledo and I use Everest Ultimate Edition. I think that Everest shows the right temps but I also think that the temp probe is broken.

I have the current temps:
I have CnQ enabled and the CPU is in idle.

Ambient (MB): 36 C
CPU Temp: 56 C
Core 1: 39 C
Core 2: 36 C
HDD1: 42 C
HDD2: 39 C

I believe that the CPU temp is f***ed up because it shouldn't be HIGHER than the Core temps, right?!?!? PLease help me with a reasonable explanation.

Cheers from Sweden
 08/28/2007 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

AMD X2 4400+ toledo ... temp probe is broken ... please help me with a reasonable explanation

You are correct. Add the Toledo to the AMD CPUs that report incorrect temperatures.

AMD, are you ready to step up to the microphone?

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 08/28/2007 03:05 PM

Author Icon
Toby1

Thanks Dan for a quick answer! I hoped that it would be the case... What do you think AMD will do about it?
 08/28/2007 03:33 PM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Originally posted by: Toby1

Thanks Dan for a quick answer! I hoped that it would be the case... What do you think AMD will do about it?

Based on past experience<G>?

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 08/28/2007 04:08 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

That has to be the 1st Toledo I've heard with a broken temp sensor. Unless the heatsink isn't making good contact and it's trapping heat there...

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

08/28/2007 05:07 PM

Author Icon
Toby1

Ok, but my core temps look really nice both in Everest and in CoreTemp. (Idle; 36-38 C on both with CnQ) But CPU temp never gets below 54-55 C no matter how fast the fans spin. I have a AC freezer 64 pro and I even lapped in yesterday. I noticed that my core idle temps pretty muh follow my ambient temp (chassi temp). It was about 40 C before I turned up the speed on my chassi fan. If I have an ambiant temp of say 37 C, my core temps will be 37 C. So I wouldn't think that my ihs trap and heat.
It was the same with the stock cooler also...

I'm thinking of buying a scythe ninja rev plus but I don't know if my temps will be better with it. It feels like something else is the critical thing...
 08/28/2007 06:10 PM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Originally posted by: PorscheRacer14
That has to be the 1st Toledo I've heard with a broken temp sensor. Unless the heatsink isn't making good contact and it's trapping heat there...

I'll believe the correct temperature is being reported the same day I believe that deep down inside that silicon chip, with a chip-to-header interface, a header-to-heatsink interface, and a heatsink-to-ambient interface; the temperature can be the same as ambient.

Heat flows, not cold. If the heat sink is above ambient, the inside of the chip is even higher.

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 08/29/2007 04:35 AM

Author Icon
Toby1

Dan; Didn't you know that heat transport is exactly the same as cold transport. If you calculate on it, there is no difference if cold dissipates to a warmer place or if heat dissipates to a colder place! That's just physics.
 08/29/2007 08:58 AM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Dan; Didn't you know that heat transport is exactly the same as cold transport. If you calculate on it, there is no difference if cold dissipates to a warmer place or if heat dissipates to a colder place! That's just physics.

Good joke! I guess I should have used the more detailed explanation. Engineers understand heat as a form of energy, and treat it as a flow not unlike the flow of electricity. And yes, it will flow from a source of higher energy (hotter) to a location of lower energy (colder). Refrigerators don't take "cold" from the kitchen and move it inside the box, they take heat from the box and move it out into the kitchen.

No matter which convention you prefer, the inside of the silicon CPU is going to be hotter than the header to which it is mounted. The header in turn will be hotter than the heat sink, and the heat sink hotter than the ambient air. (Unless you want to consider some form of cooling adding an extra step into the process, such as liquid cooling or Peltier effects.)

Nice diversion!

--

Dan in Saint Louis
 08/29/2007 04:11 PM

Author Icon
Toby1

Hi!

Sorry, what do you mean by good joke?
Of course it doesn't matter which conversion you choose. I think we mean the same thing in this issue.
Maybe you have seen this article that might clear things up (for other readers that are not so into the discussion):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_energy

Cheers
 08/29/2007 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Dan in Saint Louis

Sorry, what do you mean by good joke?

"Cold" flowing into an object.

Of course it doesn't matter which conversion you choose. I think we mean the same thing in this issue.

Maybe you have seen this article that might clear things up (for other readers that are not so into the discussion):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_energy

Yep. That's the one that says:

"That is, heat can only be defined as any spontaneous flow of energy (energy in transit) from one object to another, caused by a difference in temperature between two objects; thus, an object cannot possess 'heat' "

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_transfer which says:

"Heat transfer always occurs from a hot body to a cold one, a result of the second law of thermodynamics. Heat transfer can never be stopped; it can only be slowed down."

and

"Conduction is the transfer of thermal energy from a region of higher temperature to a region of lower temperature through direct molecular communication within a medium or between mediums in direct physical contact without a flow of the material medium."

--

Dan in Saint Louis
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information