AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Windows 2000 shutdown problem with AMD64?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/31/2004 01:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/31/2004 01:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SuperDave

Hi,
I have an AMD64 3200+ MSI K8T and I can't get windows 2000 to shutdown properly. Whenever I select shutdown, the computer goes to the "Saving your personal settings" dialog, and then shuts down VERY quickly, a little too quickly it would seem. After I shut down, I can't restart the system, files are corrupted all over the place. The first time it happen it corrupted the user profile and the use that shut down couldn't log back it, it wouldn't get passed the "Loading personal settings" dialog. The second time I shut the system down, I couldn't even reboot it at all. It froze with a message saying WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM is missing or corrupt. Now, I've read that that can happen is the system file gets too big. But I'm not convinced that's what's happening. Seems my computer is just killing itself during shut down. If you select RESTART, it does that fine over and over. It's when you select SHUTDOWN. Anyone have any ideas where to start diagnosing a problem like this? Is it OS related? BIOS? Windows? I'm at a loss.

Thanks,

Dave
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information