Increase font size
Topic Title: Help w/installing driver update
Topic Summary: Can't get the latest processor driver installed For Athlon 64
Created On: 11/19/2007 03:51 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2007 03:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
perryab1212

I've been trying to update my AMD Athlon 64 driver to the latest version (1.3.2.0053).

MS games for PC, "Gears of War," requires driver version "1.3.2.16" (??) according to the installation message and states the game will not run properly without it.

I down-loaded the latest driver (1.3.2.0053, September 2007) from the AMD website, however, I cannot install it over the top of the old driver;
I get an error message stating, "the application failed to properly install the driver."

When I try to use the [driver] "install" feature which presents itself after attempting to run Gears of War, I receive an error message indicating the current driver must be uninstalled first.

I've tried to uninstall the driver from both add/remove programs (where the driver is listed as "Athlon 64 Processor Driver") and through device manager/processors.

I've also tried to use "roll back driver," in device manager, then reboot, then install, but get the same error about the updater failing.

Anyone got a solution??
 11/19/2007 11:17 AM

Author Icon
kir4

HI
there are a lot of Problems with this game: bluescreens, crashes, back to os...
perhaps u find an answer in other forums like the games support forum.
There may be game fixes or a new version of the game. be sure to be up to date with all your dirvers. i have also heared that u need a new version of Windows -- Live update, can be found on the MS Homepage or directdownload: http://anonym.to/?http://go.mi...fwlink/%3FLinkId=98609
There is no driver 1.3.2.16, it may come but its not here already
I heared there is a beta out there but it only shows 1.3.2. as info

"AMD Athlontm 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 from Juli 2006"
http://www.amd.com/de-de/Proce...0_182_871_9706,00.html scroll down the page to find it

-------------------------

Edited: 11/19/2007 at 11:55 AM by kir4
 11/19/2007 11:25 AM

Author Icon
xp101

Hello,
update!! update!! update!!

1) Did you try to update your motherborad for the most recent driver down loads?

I have a MSI mobo I went to their site and i found 5 driver down loads updates.
witch inculded: Bios updates, cpu udates, ect.

2) did you try to update your bios for the most recent driver down loads?

my bios Manufacturer is American Megatrends Inc. as for me I check for the most recent driver updates as well.

3) did you check for the most recent video card drivers updates?

know who the Manufacturer is and see about updates and driver downloads.

4) did you check your operating system for updates and driver down loads?

Im running xp pro and Im downloading updates and drivers all the time.

5) then go to AMD and try to update your cpu drivers.
if your pc is running stable then updates is all you may need. Here there will be many Opinions of changing setting trying this and that. but Plaese do the rescerch and you may find all it was, was updating! and that's all i can offer is my OPINION.

hope this helps

xp101
 11/19/2007 04:41 PM

Author Icon
BreVaun

I am also have the same problem I cant update to the new drivers and everything I have is up to date I make sure to check just about every week. The Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 it says restart for installation to take effect but nothing happens when I do. I check the drivers and they are still the same as before.
 11/19/2007 07:44 PM

Author Icon
rslegge

I am having exactly the same issue as BreVaun. Install the update and drivers remain the same 1.2.2.0 - do we really need 1.2.3.0053?
 11/20/2007 01:34 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

You should manually hunt & kill every remanence of the old driver (especially registry entries).

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 11/20/2007 07:34 AM

Author Icon
rslegge

I just got this from AMD support, kind of an answer, but not really:

Dear customer,

Thank you for contacting AMD technical support.

For the funcionality of the processor, there is no driver needed. Both of the following tool are only features which optimize the use of the processor.

AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

There is on one hand the AMD Dual Core Optimizer which optimizes the tasks that are assigned to one or the other core, in order to maximize the performance of the processor.
AMD Athlontm 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver

On the other hand there is the Cool'n'Quiet driver, which allows a funcionment of the processor in lower speed, whenever maximal performance is not needed, e.g. when no application is running.

Both can be downloaded on this website

http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce..._182_871_13118,00.html
 11/20/2007 09:05 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Right click my computer. Click properties. Click the hardware tab. Click device manager. Find the AMD CPU driver. Click update driver. Click manual search and point to the location where you saved the AMD CPU driver. Either your desktop or else if you tried to install it, C:\AMD\ and then point to it in there. Click update, reboot and it should work. If not do the above again, but when you go to the AMD CPU driver in the device manager, click uninstall, reboot and then try re-installing the driver again. Make sure you are using an administrator user.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 11/20/2007 03:11 PM

Author Icon
perryab1212

Thanks everyone for these suggestions . . .
However, I'm still experiencing difficulty.

My system is running well (no issues w/Crysis which I just installed for example).
Haven't updated my mother-board BIOS since installation, but don't see a need to as of yet.

I did just update the driver for my ATI Catalyst X1600 video card, and have no issues with it.

PorscheRacer14
Suggested I find the "AMD CPU" driver in device manager - however I can't locate anything there that is listed this way.

There is something labeled, "ACP Uniprocessor PC" under the "Computer" heading, but when I tried to point to the program (an *.exe file) for updating the driver, the dialogue asks for a *.inf file and obviously cannot use the *.exe file.

The place I've been looking in device manager to update the processor driver is under the "Processors" heading wherein there is a subcategory labeled, "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+" and of course the update driver dialogue there also requests an *.inf file and cannot use the *.exe file downloaded from the AMD website.

I'm at a loss for how to proceed.
Any other suggestions??
 11/20/2007 07:15 PM

Author Icon
rslegge

to PorscheRacer14. Thanks for the information, however I did not save the 'AMD CPU driver', when the 'AMD Athlontm 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver' zip file downloads it expands to 'setup.exe'. When I ran this it executed OK but the Device Manager for the CPU has the driver still listed as 1.2.2. I am thinking this exe does not update any cpu driver, but does something else, of which I am not sure.
 11/20/2007 09:57 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Ok, my bad...it's been a while since I've done this. You still can do it from the device manager.

Select either one, and click update. You can try to use automatically search my computer method. If that doesn't work, I used manually selecet, and then select from list of compatible hardware.

See the difference there? I have Vista X64, but I was able to over ride the Microsoft version with the AMD version. Then after reboot, the second core was caution flagged, and I had to do the same to the second core, reboot and it's been fine since. I figure if I can force it to work in Vista X64 UAC it should work in XP. At least when I had XP on here I ws able to do the same, but then again it installed and updated the first time for me. I hope one of these methods works for you. *According to Windows it's located in C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\AmdK8.sys so I'm guessing the .inf file should be there also.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Edited: 11/20/2007 at 10:02 PM by PorscheRacer14
 11/21/2007 04:22 PM

Author Icon
ten9

I had the same problem. You can solve it doing two things.

- Update the driver and choose the driver named 'processor' not the Athlon 64 driver. You are selecting the generic Microsoft processor driver.

- edit the registry and remove the entire AMD folder here:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD

The setup application you downloaded checks this folder in the registry to see if you have an older driver installed. Even if you did step 1, you still have to remove this because the setup.exe still thinks the old driver is installed.
 11/21/2007 07:17 PM

Author Icon
donnovan

okay, i tryed a bit of all, my processor is AMD 64, not fx, not dual, and when i try to instal this driver, the ones wich came with the game, when i reboot, i got 2 boot choices to windows, but the one with update, got a blue crash screen

any1 got this problem? and can solve this puzzle?
 11/21/2007 08:56 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

try pressing F8 when booting and see if you can install it in safe mode to update and get Windows back to normal at least.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

11/22/2007 05:42 AM

Author Icon
perryab1212

Hey ten9,
after making a restore point I did exactly as you suggested, put in the generic Windows driver for the processor . . .
then rebooted and checked it to see that it stayed generic, which it did . . .
then ran "regedit" and deleted the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD folder as you suggested . . .
then ran the processor updater . . .
which failed again to update . . .
then when I rebooted the second time, the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\AMD folder had magically returned and the driver for my processor had magically returned to the AMD driver - ???????

Does anybody know how to get this done??

Help me I'm drowning - !
It can't be this hard . . . .
 11/22/2007 06:42 AM

Author Icon
donnovan

thx PorcheRacer, i reinstaled the win xp, and the patch worked, but the game still asking for patch, i skipped and and the game started, problem solved....
i only cant play, the game is too slow in my pc, i think is bcoz of low ram, 512only, processor is amd 3000+ 2,0ghz

=~~
 11/22/2007 09:01 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

RAM might help, but does your processor make the minimum reccomendations for the game? I know it's a recent game so might be pretty demanding. I guess try turning off all background applications, un-needed services and so on and maybe you might be able to get it to run.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information