Topic Title: Issue regarding OC of AMD Black edition 5000+ on MSI K9N NEO V2
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/02/2007 12:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/15/2008 02:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
notorious

After doin much research about this problem of ours. I found out the probable cause for this Processor Initialization. My guessing is the board we got has an older BIOS and it can't recognize the AMD X2 5000+ BE CPU, so you need to upgrade to latest BIOS which is 1.10 at MSI site.

In order to do this, just like jonathan1271 mention, you need to have another AM2 CPU, usually the older one. After you are able to boot with that older CPU, then proceed to upgrade the BIOS, all procedures are available in the MSI Forum. But this will be hard because you need to buy another older CPU or you need a good friend to lend you that or you just have to go to a computer shop and ask them to do it. I've already took mine to a shop to do and it took them quite a while, i still haven't got mine back yet. For my case, after they tried another older AM2 CPU on it, it does boot up.

But readin through the MSI forum, there's some interestin infos, maybe you guys can try it since the board and CPU is in your hands, but please read carefully when updating BIOS.

It seems like some user manage to update the BIOS even without using a second AM2 CPU like what I and jonathan1271 mention above, it's called BIOS Recovery Method, you can read it here (http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=113808.0). Base on WhiskeySam in that thread, he manage to update the BIOS without another CPU, i've asked a few questions there few minutes ago, haven't gotten my answers yet, from what i understand so far here's the steps:

1. Rename the desired AMI BIOS file to AMIBOOT.ROM and save it on a floppy disk. e.g. Rename A569MS23.ROM to AMIBOOT.ROM
2. Insert this floppy disk in the floppy drive. Turn On the system and press and hold Ctrl-Home to force update. It will read the AMIBOOT.ROM file and recover the BIOS from the A drive.
3. When 4 beeps are heard you may remove the floppy disk and restart the computer.

Which can be found here:
BIOS Recovery Feature

Please read more about updating BIOS at the forum till you are confident that you can do it gracefully. Agh if i have known about this possibility, i would have tried it myself instead of goin to that store where i bought the board, and they told me straight without even testing it or knowing about it, they say my board doesn't support this CPU, LOL...lame.

On another note, since most of us who got this AMD X2 5000+ BE CPU for obvious reasons, overclockin. The latest BIOS version which is stated on their site shows 1.A or also known as 1.10, this update will indeed help with our problem of not posting or booting or "Processor Initialization".

But that's just the beginning, after that update you are able to use the CPU as you like but you can't actually overclock it! At some site i've read, they have the same board and same CPU as ours with an updated BIOS (1.10), the option call CPU Frequency Configuration found in Cell Menu is not there! That's where we do our overclockin mainly the CPU Multiplier adjuster.

So if you plan to overclock; like now, you can update to another BIOS which is version 1.11, it's in beta still, but it works for them. on the same thread and many more you will find information about this BIOS, here (http://forum.msi.com.tw/index.php?topic=113808.0) notice what BuD_Sp3NcER post, he mention about this 1.11 BIOS for AMD X2 5000+ BE on MSI K9N SLI Platinum, after that update, you will be able to overclock.
 01/15/2008 08:07 AM

Author Icon
Lysander

Thanks for the replies, you've been super helpful!

I've decided to return both the mobo and processor to NewEgg ASAP, since I'm getting very close to the end of the warranty period on the 5000+ BE. I'll be buying a different board that works right off the bat without alot of screwing around this time

Thanks again for the help!
 01/16/2008 01:23 PM

Author Icon
Franco8822

harlow guys im back... now there is some questions probing my mind. firstly i just upgraded my ram to kingston hyper x ddr2 800mhz X 2GB (2x1gb) and upgraded my graphics card to Powercolor ATI Radeon HD 3850 256MB DDR3.. and upgraded my OS to Windows Vista business 32bit... It seems that after the upgrade to a better graphics card and OS.. when im playing crysis i experience lags and hangs when im playing the game.. would it be likely insufficent power? im using a coolermaster extreme power plus 460w. my comp specs can be found at the first page.... and does FSB affect the overall performance?? coz amd FSB is only 200 while intel has reached FSB 1333...

-------------------------
My Rig:
AMD Athlon X2 5000BE @3.22ghz @1.472v
Biostar TA770 AMD 770Chipset
2 X 1GB Kingston Hyper X DDR2 @924mhz 4-4-4-12
Powercolor ATI HD 3850 256MB DDR3 PCI-E
SB Audigy value soundcard @ 24bits
ASUS Silent Knight 2
1 x 160GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm
1 x 250GB Hitachi Deskstar 7200rpm
1 x 20x LG super multi DVD Ram Drive
1 x 20x Benq DW2000 DVD Ram Drive
Aopen AO-700-ALN 700 watts/PFC
Coolermaster G-LITE G332 Casing
 01/16/2008 05:02 PM

Author Icon
kir4

There is no FSB in AMD Systems... it's called HTT and 200 is the stock thing, every AMD CPU has it!
The Upgrade to vista won't bring u any performance...
Lags because of insufience Power.. can't imagine this.. but your PSU is at its end no more upgrading before u bought a new PSU.

-------------------------

02/18/2008 12:40 AM

Author Icon
notorious

I'm back finally with a workin system hah, i've updated the BIOS to 1.11B2 provided by MSI technician. Now the CPU frequency configuration is available, and cpu multiplier is available, but it's known as CPU ratio in MSI K9N SLI Platinum board.

Although i can adjust the multiplier, the voltage has a limit, only maximum 1.350V, hmm i wonder if that's the BIOS problem, i hope they will increase that option in the next BIOS release.

Anyway, adjustin the CPU multiplier is easy, and it works. But if i tried to overclock using the HTT, the PC just won't boot on first boot usually, sometimes i need to try and try again and it will eventually boot up, there seems to be no problem when i use Prime95, but if i restart, the PC won't boot, have to off/on again a few times only it will boot up. and sometimes it will boot up resetting the BIOS setting sayin my overclock has failed, so far it's ok if HTT is 200MHz, even if i increase a little, same problem happen, i wonder what's wrong??
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information