Topic Title: HP Pavilion zv6000 upgrade
Topic Summary: CPU upgrade
Created On: 12/08/2007 06:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/09/2008 11:05 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dcarino_04

but unfortunate thing is that this is as high as this computer can go i have it fully upgraded even the extra 128 memory taken from system memory for the video running at 256. the dual core is not possible unless you can find someone that can modify the bios or make one up. im sure is is possible by some super nerd. because i bought the 4000+ dual core 2gz x2 but it gave me blank screen @_@ i was like great..... thankfully nothing broke lol. any other questions let me know. hope this info was helpful.
 01/22/2008 12:32 PM

Author Icon
datura16

i too was looking to the answer to this question. i have an hp zv6000 specifically the zv61300us. first i went to the hp web site and didnt find an answer. so i grabbed the latest bios for my machine.(its been a while since i was there) it was an .exe file that, when run, started an installer and went about its business of flashing the bios after a couple of prompts. i noticed at some point it said that it was reading the contents of some package, i thought, what package? so i thought, well ok, it must be some sort of compressed executable file so i tried a program called winrar to decompress it, it worked. that file decompressed into another .exe file than was also compressed. upon decompressing that file i got a nice directory of files containing the bios and the flash program and supporting files (dlls, etc). i used an old dos program (a program called list.com by Vernon D. Buerg) to view the contents of the bios as an ascii representation of the binary data. i searched the file for 'amd' i was surprised to find the bios contains the following strings:

AMD Engineering Sample
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor Mobile
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 1
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 2
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 8Mobile
AMD Athlon(tm) XP-M Processor
AMD Athlon(tm) XP Processor
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor Mobile
AMD Sempron(tm) Processor
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 FX-
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor - model unknown

(binary garbage removed) i think the 1,2 & 8 numbers are (placeholders) for like the 3200+, etc data. nowhere does it say "dual" anything. opterons did/do come in single core models. so did/does the althlon fx. will these work? i do not know. so with cpu-z v 1.43 i noticed that the ddr memory only has a single channel available.

Northbridge ATI Xpress 200 (RS480) rev. 00
Southbridge ATI SB400 rev. 00
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 1024 MBytes
Channels Single
Memory Frequency 166.2 MHz (CPU/12)
CAS# 2.5
RAS# to CAS# 3
RAS# Precharge 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 10
DRAM Idle Timer 16
Command Rate 2T

that explains why a dual core cpu will NOT work with these units.
now, there is no mention anywhere in any documentation of these other cpus. the laptop that i have does indeed have a 939 pin socket, that when i bought it, i bought it expecting to upgrade to a dual core. this confirms some information from another forum somewhere, someone talked to both amd and hp, in short amd said it SHOULD but check with hp. this person got fed up(with hp) and called the corprate offices not the generic cust service and was eventually able to talk to a tech named paul, paul told him that the southbridge in these units wasnt designed to support ddr memory. so now time has gone by and amd has bought ati, the maker of that chip so maybe amd/ati can verify this info or did hp 'engineer' the motherboard to use ddr as a simm or some such. so while it seems we cant use a dual core maybe we can use an opteron or an athlon fx series cpu, the older single core cpus. not sure if sold anymore new, ebay maybe. any takers to try?

if i am completly wrong, because of a couple of assumptions reguarding the bios 'data' i dont want to see anyone try something that will let the smoke leak out...so to speak. i have to wait until i get some $$$ because of my heating bill it's killing me at this time 1/22/08. opteron or athlon fx will work as an upgrade to my desktop so it wouldnt be a complete waste for me. unless the some leaks out....

just some fresh ideas to this upgrade problem.

datura16
 03/23/2008 01:26 AM

Author Icon
grimspaz

i am brand new here and i really need your help, i have the same computer as cjn.simona and i am thinking of upgrading it, my processor is the same as his, an amd athlon 64 bit processor, 3200+ and i am wondering if this is a compatible processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16819103037 i have looked at it and it seems great, but i really need your advice on this one porche.
 03/23/2008 04:51 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Yeah, looks like it should work. Again, as I emntioned before, make sure when you do the upgrade to clean out your fans, replace the TIM (Thermal Interface Material) with some high quality heatsink paste and keep a close eye on temperatures and stability for the next while.

But, yes, it should work since it's still a single core. Nice find if you can get it for that price. Those are becoming pretty rare.

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 03/25/2008 10:18 PM

Author Icon
DrDOA

Hey fellas, have the same lappy, I was looking into the same thing about a year ago and haven't been here in awhile, I think a couple (1 maybe 2 others) have put in a +4000 and supposedly an FX-57. I'll try to search for it and post the link if I find it.

On another note, does it make a difference if you share 128mb of your RAM to your graphics, will games run better if I have RAM to spare? Thanks.

HP zv6130us

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
ATI 200m 128MB
80GB HDD
1.25GB RAM
250GB External HDD
And that's it!
 03/26/2008 09:12 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

You can share it, and it should help out a little bit, but it won't make a huge impact. I have the X600 256MB card in my HP laptop and the ebst performance gains I got was upping my system memory to 2x1GB in dual-channel mode. I can now play BF2 with full/max settings instead of medium, which is pretty good for an old laptop.

Run some games and benchmarks and see what it does. Sometimes you get a boost, sometimes it can make things worse if it screws with your dual channel memory setup...or at least that's what I think it does sometimes.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

03/27/2008 08:33 PM

Author Icon
DrDOA

If I was to buy macthed (dual channel) memory for my laptop (HP zv6130) will each one run at 166 or 333? Right now I have 256mb + 1GB and they run at 166 each.

Hey cjn.simona, what happened with the CPU swap? Did you do it?

HP zv6130us

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0Ghz
ATI 200m 128MB
80GB HDD
1.25GB RAM
250GB External HDD
And that's it!

Edited: 03/27/2008 at 09:03 PM by DrDOA
 03/27/2008 11:21 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I think you are refering to the memory clock and effective clocks. Such as my HP laptop takes PC 3200 DDR2 which is 200MHz memory clock or 400MHz effective. In most cases we use the effective clocks since that's what DDR does. It provides a signal to be sent on the down and up cycle compared to SDRAM, SDIMM and older RAM types that only do one one per cycle.

This is my simplistic way of explaining it. So, if your laptop takes 166MHz clock RAM it will run at 33MMHz effective. I actually ordered my RAM through Dell Canada during Christmas holidays. HP wanted an absurd amount...like $600 and I picked this up for $85 and free shipping. Not bad for some 3 year old RAM requirements and it's the same stuff HP was selling on their site.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

04/19/2008 07:07 AM

Author Icon
car_igor

Would it be possible to save old bios F.1C on a cd and download the one for dv6500 model from HP web site which is F.3C which supports Athlon x2 and Vista platform. The worst that may happen is that you need to install the old BIOS back and old CPU I reckon. I am tempted to try since there is no Bios update available for ZV6000. But HP has tendency to cross-buld platforms as cost saving measure so I hope some of the model may be compatible.
thx
 04/19/2008 11:26 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

yeah, you'd need to find a BIOS updating and editing program. I have one on floppy at my parents house, so that tells you it's been a while since I've had to do it manually with an outside program. Search BIOS editing tools and hopefully you can find one that allows you to do such things. Good luck!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

05/03/2008 05:39 AM

Author Icon
Mephisto999

I'm looking at doing the upgrade on the same lappy ( zv6000) here shortly. Still at factory specs but I'm upping the ram to 2x1GB modules and I'm hoping to drop the Opteron 160 or 165 in there ( OC to a 180 ). As far as the dual core issue, I've seen rumor that A bios revision will support dual cores. Apparently (according to the rumor ) dual core support was enable for the .14 bios revision for this board. I found it on HPs site linked below. If anyone has this laptop and a dual core 939 cpu laying around and wants to give this a try, it'd be a big help to those of us wanting to extend the life of our laptops.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfr...ftwareitem=ob-31466-1

and here is where I found reference to this

http://forums.2cpu.com/archive/index.php/t-71149.html
 05/03/2008 05:45 AM

Author Icon
Mephisto999

Almost forgot a link. was also looking at this opteron b/c it's a single core that runs at lower wattage and at the 1.35/1.4V levels I see for my laptop in CPU-Z. Any feedback is appreciated.

http://www.starmicro.net/detail.aspx?ID=1020
 05/03/2008 01:03 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

That would be sweet if you can get the dual-core Opteron to work. The single core Opteron would be a bit of an improvement, but moving to a dual-core would be a huge advantage. Something like an Opteron 160 or 165 I'm thinking would probably be the fastest you can go.

If I had the laptop I would give it a try since I have a few 939's kicking around here lately. I"d say go for it. By the way I'm reading it, even if the BIOS is wrong, it will use at least one core of the processor. If it all works, then you get two cores. It should work anyways instead of just not booting at all with a dual-core if the BIOS is wrong. It should still boot up a dual-core Opteron and work at least with one core, but you may just have both cores working with the F.14 BIOS flash.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

05/03/2008 03:53 PM

Author Icon
Mephisto999

Yeah, hopefully the dual core Opteron will work. As far as battery life, it'd be nice to run two cores on AC and one on battery. I'll have to check on writing a custom power management scheme for that. Assuming it'll run both cores to begin with ( and we all know what assUme means ) True dual cores are so impressive. I noticed a huge improvement dropping one in my desktop even while I dropped about 400MHz ( before the OC )
 05/03/2008 09:34 PM

Author Icon
Mephisto999

Nevermind on that. I found out disabling a core in an attempt to stretch the battery life actually shortens it. Reason being is this: When both cores are active, they can be scaled back providing lower voltage requirements and lower temps. If you turn off one core, the other core is forced to scale UP to handle the load resulting in higher voltages (relatively speaking) draining the battery faster. Seemed like a good idea though. The biggest thing I can find that sucks the battery, after killing non-essential devices, are background Daemons. They use CPU power and intermittently write to the HDD which uses more power.
 05/04/2008 01:42 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

yeah that and screen size. My HP Zd8080us has a 17" screen and a P4 HT 3.4 CPU in it, so if I get over an hour, I am happy. If you're looking for more performance I don't think you're too worried about battery life, but even then, if you can get Cool 'N' Quiet to work, you should actually be the same or maybe even better than a single core. Simply because you would now have 2 cores and a larger L2 cache to help out before the CPU would clock up under a percieved load. You could also try to find a 12-cell LiOn battery to replace to your 6 or 8-cell one.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm really interested even though I can't do this upgrade on my own. If this does work, well.... it's like finding a diamond in the rough. Good luck!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

06/06/2009 09:02 PM

Author Icon
awdrifter

This thread was really helpful for me in choosing a CPU for my ZV6000. I almost bought a dual core for it. I ended up upgrading it to a FX-55 (slightly oc'd to 2.8ghz), the upgrade is a direct drop in without needing to update the bios at all.
 10/12/2009 02:28 AM

Author Icon
fieldse

Upgrade to San Diego 2.4GHz - confirmed?

Sounds like, from what I'm reading, that it may be possible to upgrade the hp zv6000 processor to the AMD Athlon 64 San Diego, with a BIOS update.

If so, that would be... phenonmenal.

I'm using an old zv6000 with a whopping 1ghz processor. Which is really sucking.

Can anyone confirm this rumor?!?

you people RULE.

e.m.fields
chapel hill, nc
 10/12/2009 03:36 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

A few people have managed to get it to work, but again, and I stress this, this is entirely at your own risk. It's definitely a lot more challenging than replacing a desktop CPU.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

10/12/2009 10:58 AM

Author Icon
fieldse

Thanks Porsche, glad you're still active.

"a lot more challenging than replacing a Desktop CPU"

So it sounds deceptively straightforward, am I mistaken?
    Crosscheck serial number to determine processor type
    Download and run .exe from HP to update BIOS
    Install processor

Wherein lie the pitfalls? As I'm new to any sort of processor replacement, but I'm willing to take the risk for the chance to have this machine become practical again.

e.m.fields
chapel hill, nc
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information