Topic Title: HP Pavilion zv6000 upgrade
Topic Summary: CPU upgrade
Created On: 12/08/2007 06:20 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 4 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/13/2007 06:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

That's a good price for that CPU. I'd just use the stndard Arctic Silver paste. I've never had a problem with it and I've never had a need to try something else out since I know this works.

-------------------------
Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

Do you want a world ranking? Join Team Fusion in Forum Warz 2011!
 12/14/2007 01:29 AM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

I seem to be the buzz kill in this post.

They make socket 939 mobile processors as well, what makes them mobile is that they are lower wattage then their desktop cousins. Physically they look the same and the mobile processor will fit into a desktop and work fine in a desktop.

Personally I cannot see how a high wattage desktop processor is going to work in a laptop that is designed for a low wattage mobile socket 939 CPU

I was wrong once before . . .

Good luck

Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 12/14/2007 03:19 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Those are probably impossible to find nowadays. I think some good arctic silver use, proper heatsink cleaning and usage shouuld have these work. As long as he can use PowerNow! or esle that chips is going to get pretty hot runnign at max speed all the time.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/14/2007 04:07 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

If you take a look at the specs of the CPU I want to upgrade to, you won't find many differences vs. the one I have in my laptop right now. I am giving you the link to what someone tries to explain in pure tech terms/ which I'm not good at/:
http://www.modestotechsupport.com/dual/
I was just about to buy the dual core CPU, when someone told me yesterday that only one core would be recognized.
Anyway, I have reproduced in an early message on this thread the specs of the dual core AMD 4200x2 and those of the 3200+ that I have right now, both working @ 1.35-1.4v. Any difference in the other specs?
How about PowerNow, how can I use it?
 12/14/2007 05:00 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

It pretty much comes down to the BIOS first supporting it (which is unknown) and the hardware (which should). Other than that, it's true toss-up if it works or not. It'll be a guinea-pig test. I'd document it if it works out, it would helps others.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/15/2007 12:56 PM

Author Icon
1hott1

cjn.simona, I'd be interested in hearing a report on your upgrade experiment. I have zv6000 and have concluded that 64 X2 4200 would be a good fit also; just thought I'd ask before I bought one; incidentally, it is difficult to get inside these units, but with patience, can be safely done; I upgraded inside mem module before to 512 meg when I bought it and put it back together just fine, but it does reqiure persistence, patience and a bit of manual dexterity.
 12/15/2007 01:21 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

I will ask Phoenix BIOS on Monday if the BIOS I have supports dual core and decide afterwards. There are a few links I gave in previous posts on this thread that would appeal to interested people.
I will return on Monday and share my impressions.
Thank you all !
 12/17/2007 02:40 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

Hi, I'm back.
Phoenix BIOS told me that the BIOS from 08/2006 is the latest one and for an upgrade tp a dual core I'd have to ask hp. I already did that and hp would not give out any useful info. Unfortunately, after readin a few other posts from other forums, it appears that hp would have to do the respective changes in order to make a dual core accessible. So, I have decided to try out the single core 4000+/ skt 939. Has anyone tried it so far? There are 2 of them @ newegg, stepping E4 and E6. Someone advised me to take the old stepping. What do you think?
Moreover, an upgrade to XP64 and Vista 64 might get into difficulties due to lack of drivers support... but if anyone finds some useful data about it, please share it here.
I appreciate all users efforts around this thread. I've learned a lot lately about this hp zv6000.
 12/17/2007 05:28 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

E4 will work, the E6 should work anyways, since that stepping didn't really change anything on the frenquency or voltage scaling. Basically it added support for fully populated slots in memory so you can run 4GB at 400MHz instead of in the previous steppings you would be reduced to 333MHz. Just tweaked the memory controller and then they also fixed some errata.

Anyways, the E4 will work 100%, the E6 99.9%. It's your call on that. I can't say I've run XP Pro X64 on my laptop, but even when I ran the Vista Ultimate X32 beta on my laptop it had full driver support over a year ago. Of course, that was the 32-bit version since I have the Intel chip. Vista 64-bit is far superior in driver support than XP Pro X64 if was. Depedning on what you are doing you'll probably want 2GB of RAM if you can, if not 1GB worked fine for me.

I just tested SP1 RC for Vista, and I can say it's a huge improvement. Moving to Vista when SP1 is released in January or whenever would be the best bet. No need to install the SP1 RC now and then uninstall it and install the final SP1 later.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/17/2007 11:27 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

Very nice comments, Porche !
I've look at CPU-Zand it says that the AMD Athlon 32000+ Venice I've got is stepping 2 revision DH-E6, working on 1.400 V. The ones that I saw @newegg are both SanDiego 4000+, but one is E4 working on 1.35/1.4 V; the other one E6 on 1.35 V. If I take the E6, would 0.05V make any difference?
Both SanDiego have an increase in L2 cache to 1MB vs the Venice, which would bring more speed to the machine, I hope.
My memory is 1536 MB ram, Memory Frequency 165.8 MHz (CPU/12). Doing office work, multitasking, photo editing, burning, d/l movies. A dual core would have been great for me, but I should be fine with the current upgrades for a while.
Did you do a change to Intel from AMD on your hp ? You must be really passionate about your machine !
I'm still on Win XP home, but have thought of xp pro or vista, not decided yet. I would appreciate if you could give me a link to find the respective drivers. Vista would consume lots of resources, from what I've read. Win xp pro might work more efficiently, or am I wrong? I will have to document myself more about upgrading to win xp64. Vista advisor says that only Vista Basic would work on this laptop.
Thanks again !
Simona
 12/18/2007 12:11 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I made a mistake, I should have read you already have the E6 processor. You can buy the E6 stepping one. As for drivers, I just let Vista find it and didn't have a problem at all. Unless you really need Vista, XP Home will work on your laptop perfectly.

Unfortuantely I still have that Intel furncae in my laptop. I can't upgrade at all. I'm maxed out on the RAm and CPU specs. ahh well, maybe my next laptop will have an AMD, but at least I'ms till sporting the ATI video card.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/18/2007 03:48 AM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

I guess I made a mistake, too. I should bring the specs alltogether. So, here they are:
----my Venice:
CPU Properties:
CPU Type AMD Athlon 64, 2000 MHz (10 x 200) 3200+
CPU Alias Venice S939
CPU Stepping DH-E6
Instruction Set x86, x86-64, MMX, 3DNow!, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 2000 MHz
Min / Max CPU Multiplier 4x / 10x
L1 Code Cache 64 KB (Parity)
L1 Data Cache 64 KB (ECC)
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, Full-Speed)

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 939 Pin uOPGA
Package Size 4.00 cm x 4.00 cm
Transistors 68.5 million
Process Technology 11Mi, 90 nm, CMOS, Cu, SOI
Die Size 84 mm2
Core Voltage 1.400 - 1.450 V
I/O Voltage 1.2 V + 2.5 V
Maximum Power 67.0 W

and the 2 SanDiego:

AMD Athlontm 64 Details
Processor AMD Athlontm 64
Model 4000+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADA4000DKA5CF
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA4000CFBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E6
Frequency 2400Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.35V
Max Temp 49-71°C
Thermal Power 89W
L1 Cache 128KB
L2 Cache 1MB
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket 939

AMD Athlontm 64 Details
Processor AMD Athlontm 64
Model 4000+
Ordering P/N (Tray) ADA4000DAA5BN
Ordering P/N (PIB) ADA4000BNBOX
Operating Mode 32/64
Stepping E4
Frequency 2400Mhz
HT Speed 2000
Voltage 1.35V/1.40V
Max Temp 49-71°C
Thermal Power 89W
L1 Cache 128KB
L2 Cache 1MB
CMOS Technology 90nm SOI
Socket Socket 939

My confusion is that My CPU works @ 1.40-1.45 V, stepping E6. The stepping E6 SanDiego only works at 1.35 V. Only the E4 would work @ 1.35/1.40 V.
If it's a stepping issue, I would have to buy the E6; if it's a voltage issue, then the E4 would work.
What do you think?
 12/18/2007 12:40 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

I'd go the E6 route. This way you should be able to use less voltage and keep the heat down. Plus less voltage measn your battery should last longer.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

12/18/2007 10:52 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

Good idea ! After all, if it does not work, I can return it within 7 days back to newegg.
Thanks again !
 12/20/2007 08:10 PM

Author Icon
cjn.simona

Before my cpu comes in, I decided to update my hdd to the Hitachi 7k100 6ATA, which seems to work faster. However, got into some issues:
1. a PCI device is not recognized. Have tried to get the driver from HP, but still does not work. it's an ext. hdd Caviar, connected with a eSATA cable on a PCMCIA card with the respective interface. It works on the original HDD, though.
2. it doesn't play dvds: "file advrcntr2.dll not found"
3. can I increase the BIOS setting from 128 dedicated to 256/ half shared?
Thanks again
Simona
 12/20/2007 09:50 PM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

Looks like you'll need to find the PCI/PCMCIA bridge driver or whatever it's called to get everything working properly. I can't say I know much about this as I've never used my expansion slots on my laptop. I just "assume" they work.

I'd leave it 128MB. It's unlikely you'd need more for video. If you do need more video, then you'd need more RAM ideally because whatever program is running that to require more video RAM, the program itself would most likely need more system RAM. You only really need more video RAM when your screen resolution increases.

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

01/06/2008 12:32 AM

Author Icon
ESrun

Hi, cjn.simona. I was looking to upgrade a zv6000 with a 3200+ I have already put in 2 gigs of memory and tried the ADA4000DKA5CF with no luck. It wouldn't even boot.

I remember another forum where someone had tried the same thing with no luck. I think that the older stepping may allow it to work as I recall someone who was successful with that processor. I was just trying to see if I could find info where someone was able to get this one to work as I already have the E6 revision.

This laptop uses a socket 939 desktop cpu as the voltages were low. That was confusing at first but I figured it out. Dual core procs won't be recognized, and the memory is always going to run at 333 Mhz. HP needs to make a new BIOS for any of these changes to work. I don't see HP as a company that will support their customers anymore.

I never recommend an HP to anyone.
 01/06/2008 12:34 AM

Author Icon
ESrun

Oh yeah, let me know if you are successful. Dying to get this laptop upgraded. Thanks!
 01/06/2008 03:44 AM

Author Icon
PorscheRacer14
Ardrid Returned

If you are having problems with your laptop, HP is probably the best customer service there is. As for supporting an unofficial upgrade of their laptop ecosystem, no manufacturer supports this method.

Now, you might get lucky if that platform is used when the switchover happened, such as when socket 939 when dual-core, then you might luck out. I've seen the same thing going on with Intel on mobile and desktop. Either the chipset won't support it, or the BIOS or both won't support it.

Considering how old the laptop is, I wouldn't consider HP ever upgrading the BIOS. Just as in my old HP laptop. It works, I can't upgrade to a better processor or faster RAM, but as far as HP is ocncerned, they don't have a problem on the installed hardware or BIOS code, so they won't be upgrading it to satisfy a few enthusiasts. Why not? They'll just say, well might as well check out these fancy new laptops we're showcasing today.

If it works, that's awesome. If it doesn't, well, it kind of sucks, but I wasn't expecting anything in the first place. I know how difficult upgrading laptops is. That's why when I buy one, I get the best I can afford and load it up with the fastest processor, dedicated video card and largest amount of memory and hard drive capacity I can get. My laptop still games for me and does it's job today and I have no real need to replace it unless something dies on it.

That's just a small background on why some of the support is the way it is, or appears that way to you. Hopefully we can get some magic here becasue I'd really like to see this upgrade fly!

Multi-Core Upgrade Guide

01/09/2008 10:52 AM

Author Icon
dcarino_04

hey esrun when i was in iraq (airforce) my budget was all about upgrading the zv6130us and i ordered the same cpu that u did. but there are two model numbers. the one you ordered ADA4000DKA5CF would not boot of course because i ran at a different voltage. the right one is ADA4000DAA5BN and i ordered that one a week later from tigerdirect. but they have limited you can barely find those cpus and they are pricey because people know they are rare. but you can still maybe find one. i bought mine for around 100 when the one you bought was only 70 it sux but hopefully this info helps. tiger direct no longer has it but ebay and a couple other sites had it. this one DOES work i have it on my cpu also 2gb pc333 ram 7200 rpm harddrive and the 200m ati video card oh btw on hp's site it has our computer's maintenance manual that shows you how to take the computer completely apart. i wish i would have found it before i did the swap lol. but the part number ADA4000DAA5BN is the right one and it says it at the top of the processor under amd athlon 64 blah blah. make sure you get some arctic sliver. once it settles even with the sandiego 2.4 ghz i noticed a big temp drop. make sure you clean a promote the cpu and heat sink. this is what cpu z says Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 1
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name AMD Athlon 64 4000+
Codename San Diego
Specification AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+
Package Socket 939
CPUID F.7.1
Extended CPUID F.27
Brand ID 4
Core Stepping SH-E4
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 997.1 MHz (5.0 x 199.4 MHz)
HT Link speed 997.1 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX (+), 3DNow! (+), SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64
L1 Data cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 64 KBytes, 2-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 16-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
max FID 12.0x
VID range 1.100 V - 1.400 V
Features XD
K8 Thermal sensor yes
K8 Revision ID 4.3
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 0
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 1
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 2
Attached device PCI device at bus 0, device 24, function 3
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information