Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Dual Core + XP SP3
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/05/2008 05:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/05/2008 05:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Dave C

Hi,

I asked this elsewhere but it probably needs its own topic, really...

Now that XP SP3 has come out it includes the Microsoft-supplied KB896256 patch for dual core systems.

Because of this, does the AMD Dual Core Optimizer no longer need to be installed?

It would be of great help to find out what is now recommended for installation on an XP + SP3 + AMD Athlon X2 system.

-------------------------
Folding:
 07/07/2008 01:07 AM

Author Icon
Overmind
Assimilator

That's for the driver; you still need the optimizer.

World's best Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge mod and Star Trek: Starfleet Command 3 mod: Overmind.ro
 07/09/2008 02:31 PM

Author Icon
Dave C

Well, I'm not impressed by AMD at this point...

Dear David,

thank you for contacting AMD tech support.

You should contact directly Microsoft and ask whether they make some changes on SP3 which no longer requires Optimizer and Cool n Quiet installation.

Best regards

AMD Global Customer Care

-----Original Message-----
Date: 07/08/2008 17:14:05 GMTUK
To: tech.support@AMD.COM
Cc:
Subject: CPU-Support

Hi,

The Dual Core Optimizer and Processor Driver were both issued
before XP Service Pack 3 came out. Since SP3 has come out I have
seen people reporting problems with installing the Processor
Driver and SP3 seems to render the Dual Core Optimizer
irrelevant since it includes a patch for processor energy-usage
state changes.

I am therefore asking if AMD now recommends different
installation procedures from those applicable to XP Service Pack 2.

So even though AMD have written their very own drivers and dual core optimizers they're passing the buck to Microsoft?

Would someone from AMD's technical department PLEASE give me a more useful answer?

Folding:

Edited: 07/09/2008 at 10:42 PM by Dave C
 07/17/2008 02:34 PM

Author Icon
Dave C

Further update for anyone who's curious.

Dear David,

Thank you for contacting AMD Global Customer Care.

At this point there are no plans to release updated versions of the Dual Core optimizer and the AMD Cool'n'Quiet drivers (which are listed as Processor Drivers on our website). We are not currently aware of any compatibility issues of running SP3 and installing the AMD Cool'n'Quiet drivers; some users have reported that in some instances, the "ATi Smart" utility (ati2sgag.exe) may cause Cool'n'Quiet not throttle the processor down properly.

The AMD Dual Core Optimizer has nothing to do with processor power state changes; this optimizer is designed for systems which experience instability with applications when used with a dual core processor. This optimizer is merely a registry modification which causes Windows to use a different processor timer to compensate and bring performance back to normal state. As with the C'n'Q drivers, there are no known issues installing the optimizer with SP3.

If you are experiencing error screens or un-explainable behavior, please include screenshots so we can assist you if possible.

If you have any questions, please contact us at 408-749-3060 (US CPU Support) or 44-1276-803299 (EU CPU Support).

Best regards,
Gene.

AMD Global Customer Care.

It sounds like the Dual Core Optimizer is redundant now that SP3 includes the Microsoft fix, so the Processor Driver is the only thing that needs to be in. Has anyone noticed any issues when following these steps?

Folding:
 12/10/2009 07:48 PM

Author Icon
Barberic

My DirectX games were running slow. 40 FPS ran at 32, 25 FPS ran at 21.
Fix is here http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...owthread.php?t=81429.

I had installed the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer back in May but after reading the above instructions I could see I hadn't done the Registry changes and this was the crucial bit.

The Microsoft Hotfix mentioned in the article is not needed if you have XP SP3 installed. The download link to it in the article is also broken so if you need it you have to get it from Windows Update (KB896256).
 12/10/2009 08:25 PM

Author Icon
Edgemeal
Overclocker

On my install of XP SP3 the fix is there but it was not enabled, so I had to change Throttle from 0 to 1.

Problem I had was when fast forwarding high quality video at 3x normal speed it was dropping frames, setting throttle to 1 fixed it and made the system overall more responsive.

MSI 770-C45
Phenom II X2-550 @ X4 @ 3.5GHz @ Stock Vcore.
Thermaltake Big Typhoon
2x2GB DDR3 1333 @ 9-9-9-24-33-1T
1x60GB SSD /1x300GB VelociRaptor / 1x320GB Seagate / 1xDVD 22X
Audigy2 / HD 6670 1GB / Acer 22" / Win7-64_Ult.
Antec SOHO / Antec BP550 Plus
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information