Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Desperate help!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/20/2004 08:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/20/2004 08:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zlitz

Hey guys.

I need desperate help here. I have no idea what can be wrong. I recently upgraded my AMD Athlon XP2000+ and bought a XP 2800+ Barton instead. Everything was going smoothly, as i've done this houndreds of times but when i tried to boot up the computer after installing the new processor, the screen went black and a small indicator was blinking up in the left corner.

I thought that my Windows XP had been screwed up and formatted my HD and tried reinstalling it. Everything went fine until it had read in the required information from the CD to start the installation, then it all went black again.

Baffled, i formatted again and tried starting it up with Windows98, which worked perfectly (and is working fine atm, or i couldn't be writing this), and i later tried to upgrade to windowsXP again. This time through windows 98. Same thing happens again. There's no error-message or anything. It just goes black and says nothing.

My computer is the following:

GeForce4 Ti 4800
Athlon XP 2800+ Barton
TwinMos DDR400 512MB PC3200
MSI K7N2G nVidia2 Motherboard
Maxtor 60 GB HDD

I've tried removing the PCI cards and still the same thing, tried removing the graphicscard and using another, still the same thing. I've tried pretty much everything i can think of. And seeing as how it's working perfectly in Win98 i'm pretty convinced that nothing is mailfunctioning.

Please help me.

/Zlitz
 03/20/2004 09:28 AM

Author Icon
Aubrey

Clean that XP (WIN) disk and try it again.

-------------------------
( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
 03/20/2004 10:07 AM

Author Icon
Zlitz

Tried formatting it twice with no result, if that's what you meant =( Anything else you can think of? Seeing as how the only new part in the computer is the processor, i really don't understand why WinXP suddenly won't work, but 98 running perfectly =(

/Zlitz
 03/20/2004 11:09 AM

Author Icon
Runner30

Ok, here's something I've thought of:

1.Disable any performance pushing options in the bios.
2.Set the mem timings to default along with the CPU ('auto'S
3.Disable your onboard video.Try to be sure you've killed it,or just remove your NVidia Ti card and boot using your IGP. That may be the problem you solved last time installing WinXP, and now you can't.
4.Merely an option, but still worth to suggest - remove any unnesessary fans or other power draining sourses, for 2800+ demands more power, and tends to get hot.
Be sure you're using CPU's certifiend HS and fan.

5.Try to update the BIOS.

Good luck.
Gil.

quote:A.M.D = All Men Desire.

System:HEC 475Watt.AMD Athlon XP-M2500 IQYHA0351MPMW.
Abit NF7v2*Sp97*NB1+delta*A-DATA DDR500
MSI 'the rock' RX9800*WD800JB
*257x10@1.83V*261x10@1.9V (CPC off)
 03/20/2004 01:24 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

I meant to clean the CD that you install from.

( Quote )
 03/21/2004 11:37 AM

Author Icon
Zlitz

Hey guys.

I'm currently borrowing a friends computer since i tried replacing the motherboard completely.

The problem i had earlier is now history, but instead replaced with a much more sever problem. The new motherboard is a:

ASUS A7V8X-X

I Checked it up and it should be completely compatible with my 2800+. I Also got new memory banks (DDR400 PC3200) again, TwinMos ones, that are also compatible with the new mobo.

I'm completely out of money now and guess what..? The [content edited] thing won't boot! It won't even go to the BIOS screen. All it does is beep like [content edited] and the screen is completely black. I checked the ASUS webpage and it doesn't say what those beeps mean, other than hardware failure. But everything is brand new and works perfectly in my buddies computer (yes, i tried all parts in his puter to make sure and all i acomplished was to piss him off and waste his time).

I've tried removing all PCI cards and boot it, and it won't boot anyway. My PowerSupply is a Q-tec 300W and i'm starting to suspect that it could be my powersupply that isn't sufficient. On my MSI motherboard there were this 4-plug powerthingy as well which could have given it the additional boost to launch the BIOS and nothing more. But this mobo doesn't have that 4-plug thingy.

Could this be my problem? Could the powersupply be insufficient and that be the cause of my computer beeping at me instead of running shitloads of kewl games?

Please help me. I'll be back to check this forum again in an hour or so.

/John
 03/21/2004 06:52 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

That loud noise is the m/b telling you it has done a thermal shut down. You do not have cpu and hsf installed properly or you damaged something??

( Quote )
 03/21/2004 09:18 PM

Author Icon
truckin4dave

that beeping sound is more than likely telling you that you need to clear your cmos and once you clear your cmos the system should boot from their. I had the same problem with my system when I tryed to boot it for the first time, once I cleared the cmos and restarted the system I was able to go into the system bios.

Gigabyte 7N400 PRO II, AMD Athlon XP 2400+ - Aerocool Golden Crown, 2x 512mb pc2700 DDR 333mhz, XFX fx5200 nVIDIA GeForce2, Maxtor 80gig HHD.

Current O/C @ 15.0 X 148 = 2161.15mhz

To Infinity and Beyond!!
 03/22/2004 02:41 AM

Author Icon
Lorthreth

QUOTE (Zlitz @ Mar 21 2004, 05:37 PM) My PowerSupply is a Q-tec 300W and i'm starting to suspect that it could be my powersupply that isn't sufficient.
Q-Tec is a piece of junk. It's far from sufficient.

I advice you to get either a Fortron, Enlight, HEC or Q-Technology.

Oh yeah, Q-Tec != Q-Technology

AOpen HQ-08' ">http://koti.mbnet.fi/lortha/amd/computer2.jpg(Steel baby, 14kg's of high quality 1mm steel baaaaby ^_^), AXP 2500+ 1.83GHz Barton, Glacialtech Igloo Silent Breeze I, Abit AT7-MAX2 KT400-VT8235, 512MB PC-2700 Samsung, Club3D Radeon 9600 Pro, Hercules Smart TV Stereo, 120GB Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus, LG DVD & CD-RW, HP Scanjet 3300C
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information