Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU Problem?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/17/2003 09:56 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/17/2003 09:56 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Zyhotie

Hi Folks!!! I have a problem I really don't know how to solve. My computer started shutting off without any warning approx. 6 weeks ago. Finally it got to the point where when I turned it on it would run for about 30 seconds and then turn itself off. I kept getting error messages about the bios. Finally I sent the board back to Soyo for repair. I got the board back two days ago. I put the thing in the computer and within two or three minutes (at most) the computer shut off. I have taken out both cd-rw's, both wd 7200 rpm hard drives, all pci cards. I purchased a new Antec 550 W True control power supply and started all over again, by placing one cd-rw, one hard drive, and the AGP card in the tower. It still shut down. I then pulled everything out and place in the other cd-rw, hard drive, and AGP card. It shut down again. Now before you jump to any conclusions about any of this equipment being bad let me say this. All of this equipment was running just fine on a Asus board just a few days ago, it too would shut down maybe once a day. My question is this. Is there a possibility that the processor itself could be bad and is doing this? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance ZYHOTIE
 10/17/2003 10:31 PM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

There is always a possiblity of the CPU or any other PC component causing this problem. The only way you're likely to find out is by installing another CPU and testing. You mentioned that all the components worked fine on an Asus Mobo but would shut down maybe once a day. If you mean it actually shut-off vs. just crashing, then you may have multiple problems to troubleshoot as the system should not just shut-down. There is always the possibility of an intermittent short circuit or weak power supply, or defective case power on switch or a host of other possibilities. If you have a digital volt meter or can borrow one, I'd check the PSU voltages with the PC running, on the +3, +5 & +12V PSU feeds to the Mobo. If these remain stable even when the system shuts off, which seems to happen within minutes now, I'd try to borrow another CPU to drop in your Mobo. If you have an intermittent short circuit the voltage(s) should drop quickly just before the system powers down. That's the quickest and easiest route I think. Obviously if the borrowed CPU fixes the problem you know your CPU is bad. If not then it's likely you have a problem elsewhere.

-------------------------
If only they knew...
 10/18/2003 08:34 AM

Author Icon
Zyhotie

Beenthere, Thanks for the comment. My comp. really just shuts down. I just had all of the wiring coming into this comp. room redone. Because of it I had to add a new expanded fuse box to the house. So I'm pretty sure the electrical is up to standards. However, I don't know a whole lot about testing the wiring inside the comp. I have read a little about it in some of my comp. training manuals but have not tried to do it myself. Guess I'll dig out my new and unused meter and learn. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again. Zyhotie
 10/18/2003 01:52 PM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

You sound like you're attacking the problem in a logical manner so I suspect you will find the problem, but it does take time. Wish I had more to offer but these problems can make one pull their hair out some times...

Good Luck !

If only they knew...
 10/19/2003 04:23 PM

Author Icon
Pawe

What about overheating? I mean the contact between CPU core and HSF isn't good enough, it may runs too hot and then shuts itself down? Have you tried upgrading BIOS or have you tried different BIOS settings for instance?

In the fullness of time. Expect me when you see me.
 10/19/2003 05:25 PM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

I always physically touch the heat sink when in operation to see if the temp matches the readouts. If it's really hot then ya got a problem. A modern CPU will get hot enough to burn you in a matter of seconds if the heatsink isn't mounted properly, so it should be easy to tell if the heatsink is touching the die.

If only they knew...
 01/17/2004 08:14 AM

Author Icon
sublime22

Hey been there,

couldnt zyhotie check abr jumper? i just got a soyo mobo, my abr is engaged, but in the mobo manual it says the abr is to protect the mobo from heat damage if overheated, if he can't figure out another solution, than disabling the abr could work right?

Just a comment, tryin to help.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information