AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Did I damage my fan's heatsink?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/26/2004 07:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/26/2004 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Desert_Eagle25

I just recently bought an AMD Athlon XP 2500 1833 Mhz. I opened up the box and read the instruction pretty carefully, step-by-step, not assuming anything. Then I reads the instructions indicating that a sticker would be on the heatsink, yet I didn't see any. So I used my finger nail and scratched the soft-plaster-like gray patch, discovering I could easily mark it and scratch it. Now in the manual the pictures provided aren't very detailed and doesn't show what the heatsink looks like. I believe I scatched my heatsink pretty bad (just a scratch from my nail, pretty long and deep though, right in the center area). I was wondering if I could still use it, and if not, could I go trade it in or something?

My processor is fine, It's just I think I messed my heatsink up on the fan
 05/26/2004 07:45 PM

Author Icon
Leebrown31

not too confident that it will work but try applying thermal paste to the base of the heatsink and level off the paste in the scratch marks then try to mount it in the usual way

its pretty safe to say that the store will not take it back if you have caused the damage to it yourself

failing all this i think the only option you have is to buy a new heatsink and fan or just the heatsink

lee
 05/26/2004 10:06 PM

Author Icon
-Milt-

Desert_Eagle25,

Did you buy your CPU as a "Retail" or "boxed" version, complete with a nice thin-fin copper heatsink?
I think you did.
If so, no prob... what you have 'scratched' is the 'thermal pad' that's attached to the bottom, middle, of the HS.
They used to ship these with a piece of tape ( the 'sticker' ), protecting the 'thermal pad' but lately have been using a plastic 'cup' that protects the whole bottom of the HS, because people weren't reading the instructions, and removing the 'sticker' before installing the HS.
The 'thermal pad' is designed to melt in the heat from the processor and conform exactly to the shape of the 'die' in the center of the CPU.
It will, but don't remove it to check... the 'thermal pad' is designed for 'one-use-only'... you put it on, and you leave it there.

So if the answer to my first question was 'Yes', then you have nothing to worry about.

-------------------------
Here is my new PCChips M848A' ">http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2_T-2-3-3-6-2_M848.jpg v2.1, with a 1700+ @ 2411 MHz, and my trusty old PCChips M810L' ">http://members.lycos.co.uk/mmm...00MHz_Sandra_tests.jpg v7.1A, with a Barton 2500+ @ over 3500+. Some of my fancy cars are on this pag
 05/27/2004 12:30 AM

Author Icon
Desert_Eagle25

*whew* yea, theres a large plastic cup covering the entire bottom, and the thermal pad looks pretty large and removable, as the sides are a little bevelled out. Thanks for the help, sensei milt
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information