Increase font size
Topic Title: athlon xp and pci-x
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/29/2004 05:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/29/2004 05:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thatboysabin

Hey does anyone know if there is going to be a motherboard released for the athlon xp processors, i guess socket a, that will have pci-x slots. I built this computer with an athlon xp about 6 months ago, and i see that video cards are about to have pci-x versions. Id prefer, if i could, to find a good motherboard with a pci-x slot onboard so i dont have to build an entire new system. Anyone know of a good one?
 05/29/2004 06:01 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

Assuming, by 'PCI-X' you actually mean PCI-E(xpress), then most likely there won't be motherboards for Socket A that support this - atleast not a PCI-E 16x slot for videocards, as that would require a new Northbridge.
The Socket A-platform is going to be slowly phased out over the course of this year...which does not necessarily mean it will completely disappear, but don't expect too much new stuff to be released for an aging platform

You *might* theoretically see a few PCI-E 1x slots on a Socket A motherboard some time, as VIA's PCI-E-enabled VT8251-southbridge is pin-compatible with the older southbridge-chips, so it could be used in conjunction with a KT600 or KT880 Northbridge, if a motherboard-manufacturer decides to do this.
QUOTE and i see that video cards are about to have pci-x versions.
All of the upcoming next-gen cards(i.e. Radeon X800 and GeForce 6800) will be AGP 8x cards. PCI-E versions will follow soon, but initially, there won't be much of a difference in performance between PCI-E and AGP versions.
By the time there are only PCI-E cards, you will most likely need a more serious upgrade anyways.

Note: The correct acronym for PCI-Express is 'PCIE'.
'PCI-X' is actually an enhanced version of the PCI-bus(64-bits wide and with MUCH higher clockspeeds) which is used exclusively on Server/Workstation platforms.
This 'enhancement' became necessary to accomodate for high-bandwidth add-on cards such as Gigabit-Ethernet adapters/10GbE-adapters and multi-channel SCSI/RAID-cards.
Go here' ">http://www.pcisig.com/specifications for more info

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information