Increase font size
Topic Title: 2600 Tbird Overheating?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/04/2004 04:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/04/2004 04:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rerisen

Hello,

I recently upgraded from a 1600Tbird to 2600 (266FSB) and am now getting frequent freezes and crashes while running 3D games. I am not a expert on these things (my brother did the installation w/flashing the Bios etc) but I have been reading up since. My idle temperatrues are around 49C(CPU) and 39(MB). During a long gaming session (usually about 45 minutes) the CPU will climb between 55-60C before crashing (sometimes total freeze). Supposedly, this is not terribly hot and yet still it happens. However, it runs perfectly stable in Windows. When I open the case and point a house fan at it, temperatures cool by 10C or so and the system has not crashed once no matter how long the game runs. Removing the side panel alone (no fan) drops the temperature by about 4 degrees. Ambient temperature according to my Video Card reading is about 44C with case on and 39C with it off.

I am using a HS/F combo designed for up to a 3200+ Barton so I dont think the problem should lie there. My brother redistributed the existing paste on the heatsink and I have been thinking that maybe we should have went with a new coat and need to redo it. But stories of mixing pastes and people ending up with even hotter cores have me in doubt.

I am on a pretty strict budget and cant spend money for the heck of it on things that wont fix the problem. Basically my question is should I get some case fans (have only one on the PSupply as it is a old case) or is it even logical that the CPU is causing this problem considering the temperatures dont seem that bad? Is there a break in period for new chips or perhaps a 200 hour melding for the paste (I have read about) that I should wait for before taking action? Just not sure what direction to proceed at this point.

08/04/2004 10:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
OliverMaltby

Read this guide' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=11388

-------------------------
ASRock 939Dual-Sata2 Athlon ULi m1695 | AMD 64 3200+ S939 | 2 x OCZ Premier 512MB DDR400 CL 2.5-3-3-7 | Tagan TG430-U15 430W PSU (40A on combined 12V) | Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 160Gb 8Mb Cache | Point Of View nVidia GeForce 6800GS | Creative Audigy 2 ZS | Logitech 5.1 X-530 Sound System | Hauppauge PVR250 | Liteon DVDR+-
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information