AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: MSI Athlon 950-MHz compatible mobo's?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/12/2004 01:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/12/2004 01:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dtrevfl

Hey guys. Well I've had my computer for a while, bought it from gateway. Problem is I can't support ATI radeon graphic cards on here. Now before you say anything let me tell you I've tried everything. Lowering the AGP slot. Lowering/increasing the power watt. Replacing fans. New power supply. EVERYTHING. My comp just can't take them and crashes by shutting off the screen and such. I look up on a forum the ati cards I've tried and everyone who fixed the problem did so buy purchasing a new motherboard. Anyways the amd site is kinda complicated and I couldn't find the recommened motherboard page for the "MSI Athlon motherboard - 950-MHz". I was thinking about getting an Nforce2 or 3 because i figure they'd be good with gaming, but I'm not sure if they're compatible. Does anyone have the page to my processor recomended motherboards or know any good mobos that are compatible with mine? Thanks
 09/12/2004 02:22 PM

Author Icon
eddaweaver

modern video cards use lots of electricity, your power supply unit may be too small to cope with a Radeon. Do you know how many watts and amps it is rated for? What exact motherboard model and video card models have you been trying?
 09/12/2004 02:40 PM

Author Icon
dtrevfl

QUOTE (eddaweaver @ Sep 12 2004, 10:22 AM) modern video cards use lots of electricity, your power supply unit may be too small to cope with a Radeon. Do you know how many watts and amps it is rated for? What exact motherboard model and video card models have you been trying?
Yea my power supply is this: (which I was told is plenty for radion.)
http://support.gateway.com/s//...0052...6500525nv.shtml' ">http://support.gateway.com/s//...500525/6500525nv.shtml

I tried the ATI 9600 PRO, took it back, got a GeForce FX5600 works fine but not a very good card. Borrowed and tried my friends ATI 9800 PRO same problems as the 9600.

My motherboard can be found here with chipsets(MSI Athlon motherboard - 950-MHz):
http://support.gateway.com/s/M...MSI/...251017418.shtml' ">http://support.gateway.com/s/M...510174/251017418.shtml

I tried upgrading my chipsets-no help. Was unable to upgrade my BIOS cuz this mobo is soo old. Was told to just buy a new mobo. I tried rolling back and reinstalling every ATI cat version, no help. And I found a forum with people having the same problems as me, who say bought a nforce2 mobo and that fixed the crashes. I'm assuming this mobo is just way too old. Now I need to know what new mobo's are good and compatible with this processor
 09/12/2004 06:23 PM

Author Icon
dtrevfl

Heres what one guy says on another forum. Anyone agree?

QUOTE Originally posted by thruster
[br]ok ya so you need a motherboard that will support socket A, also known as socket 462, and one supporting 133 (or 266) front side bus(fsb). you will probably need new memory(DDR) too, unless you specifically find one supporting pc-133. when you look for one, avoiding Via chipsets is best, but the only Via one you would want is the kt880. id reccomend nforce2, but you will most definitely need new memory for that. DDR memory will help out a lot though.

And I replyed:
Thanks alot thruster. I did buy 2 sticks of 256mb PC133 RAM. The one guy who had a problem with the radion cards bought the nforce as well so I think to be safe I will too. Will the PC133 work on the nforce2? If I get the nforce2 I won't have to worry about via correct? I extremly appreciate your help, as I don't know much about compatibility. Oh yeah one last question. Is the Nforce2 compatible with newer processors? In case I might want to upgrade to a newer athlon like xp...etc. That would be awsome
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information