Increase font size
Topic Title: Im curious
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/21/2004 04:23 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/21/2004 04:23 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bob_man_uk

I switched on my pc last night and it wouldnt boot, after trying desperately I open up the case and tested all the parts and finaly got to the CPU, now I've never seen what a blown cpu looks like so this is where I ask you, alond one side of the purple chip (its a 2000+ XP) is as black line with what looks like an absolute tiny blister, at the time i thought it might have been the conductive resin that comes with the original heatsink but then after looking harder and at different angles I found that when angling the light off the CPU I could see that the surface around the chip and other capacitors were shiny and all I did was pick the paste with my nail off the board, so is it the mo'board or CPU,

thanks for your help

mattyG
 10/21/2004 05:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Old Camper

Are you able to remove the processor and check the underside where the pins are?

Generally speaking, if there is damage - it will be most visible in that area.

-------------------------
One day, humanity will advance forward and leave behind our humble little world to reach innumerable heights of technology, evolution and civilization, to bring our imaginations into the unsuspecting universe and ourselves... play God.
| Email/MSN: old_camper@hotmail.com | Visit the SSAA | IRC @ #forums.amd.irc on irc.d
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information