Increase font size
Topic Title: Retail chip but no valid serial number
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/02/2005 01:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/02/2005 01:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jimtames

Hi,

I'm trying to RMA a dead chip but the online tool doesn't want to recognise the serial number on the fan or the chip.

The fan has an AMD sticker in the centre, a barcode and the number "44905301".

The chip itself reads

AX2000DMT3C
AGOIA 0219UPCW

None of those bits of text are recognised by the RMA tool. Does this mean it isn't really a retail chip? I seem to recall it came in an AMD box, and the invoice says "Retail, 3yr warranty" on it. Unfortunately I don't seem to have kept the box which may have had more info on it.

Do any of those pieces of information look the right format to be a CPU serial number? It appears that they are usually 10 digits followed by one alphabetic character.

Many thanks for any help you can offer....

Tim
 09/03/2005 12:25 AM

Author Icon
AMD808

AMD provides a 3-year limited warranty to all retail PIB processors. If the processor has been in your posession for more than 3 years, it is likely not going to be in the data-base.

Certain replacement processors are no longer being manufactured, such as the Palomino Athlon XP. AMD will replace the processor with an equal or greater model then what you currently have. Though, again, it is provided that they are still being manufactured.

Your best bet will be to contact the nearest AMD Sales Center. Contact information is available at the upper right corner of the forum pages.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
 09/03/2005 04:49 AM

Author Icon
jimtames

It was purchased in Feb 2003 so it's within the warranty period.

I understand that the 0219 part of the markings on the chip indicate manufacture in the early part of 2002 but I didn't buy it until 2003.

I will ring my local office in the UK to discuss.

Thanks for your help,

Tim

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information