Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD 3200+ XP CPU = dead
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/04/2005 05:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/04/2005 05:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ChrisKavanagh

Hey guys,

I bought a AMD Athlon XP 3200 processor a year ago for the new computer I put together at that time. Now, everything ran smoothly since then, until about a month ago, when my computer just randomly froze up while I was using an application.

From there, I turned off my computer and tried to boot it again, but I didn't even get to the POST boot screen. My computer would power up, but it never made any of the 'thinking' noises, or beeps. All it did was light up the LED's and turn on the fans, thats it.

Now at first I figured it was a mobo issue, so I went out and bought a newer model of the one I had (Socket A again), transfered over all my components, and hopefully fired it back up again. Sadly... I had the same scenario. My computer wouldn't really start up, only the fans and lights would turn on, that's it =/.

Now I knew it wasn't my graphics card (New 9800 Pro, I bought it 3 months before.) My motherboard was brand new, and I tested both sticks of memory on my downstairs computer and they worked like a charm. The only thing left for me to test was my CPU, so I swapped out my 3200 for the 2500 we have downstairs, and, lo and behold, my computer fired right back up as if nothing had happened!

So now that I had figured out what was wrong with my computer, I took my CPU and heatsink back to the store I bought it from with my receipt, only to find that my 1 year warranty had expird 2 weeks prior. =/ They said my only hope was to talk to the people at AMD directly, and a few emails later, I was pointed to this forum.

Anyone from AMD, what are the steps I should take to file a warranty claim (I have a 3-year warranty from when I bought this brand new.) and what else can I do to help speed this process up?

Thanks for your time /biggrin.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='biggrin.gif' />

--Chris
 09/04/2005 06:38 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AMD808

Hello,

Have a look here' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Proce...3497^3243^2139,00.html. That should explain the warranty / RMA process.

QUOTEThis Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith.

How to Obtain Warranty Service
To obtain warranty service for your AMD Processor in a Box, contact your computer system manufacturer or distributor during the systems warranty period. After your computer system warranty has expired, you should contact AMD at (408) 749-3060 in the U.S. only, Asia.Support@amd.com in Asia, and 44 (0) 1276-803187 in Europe. Please be prepared to provide: (1) your name, address, and telephone numbers; (2) proof of purchase; (3) a description of the type of boxed processor; (4) a description of the computer system including the brand and model; and (5) an explanation of the problem. The Technical Service Center Representative may need additional information from you depending on the nature of the problem.

Upon receipt of a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number from the Technical Service Center Representative, you will be required to send in your processor, and heatsink/fan that were packaged together in the retail container. The packaging materials themselves will not be required to process your RMA.

Any replacement AMD processor is warranted under this written warranty and is subject to the same limitations and exclusions for the remainder of the original warranty period or one (1) year, whichever is longer.

Other warranty inquiries may be sent by e-mail to hw.support@amd.com, or by mail to AMD Warranty Questions, One AMD Place, P.O. Box 3453, MS 128, Sunnyvale CA 94088-3453. (Do not send the product to this address.)

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information