Increase font size
Topic Title: Called ADM for RMA . . .
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/27/2005 06:31 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/27/2005 06:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stan3200

Let me tell my story . . . /wacko.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='wacko.gif' />

I have an old Athlon 1000, and it has been very faithful. I’m sold on ATM processors.
But I have had it for a while, and it is staring to show its slowness – so I decided to upgrade my system. I searched around for an Athlon 3200+ (32-bit), and found one at a local dealership. I was told that it is a new “retail” processor and that the person who originally placed the order for the machine bailed on the deal, so the shop was willing to sell it to me. The price seemed reasonable – especially considering that the box has a retail box processor installed in it! I can see the AMD logo stuck onto the front of the case, and the processor certainly has an adequate looking fan on it that again says: “AMD”. It may well be exactly what the shop claims it to be. But this is the deal: I want to be sure. I tried to contact AMD, and ask them if the serial number was indeed consistent with the dealers claim. But I was unable to find any help. I sent a couple of emails to AMD, I even include a very easy-to-read picture that had been taken of the part – clearly showing all the numbers and very legibly so. I got no response. It is getting closer and closer to the 1st of the month, and that is the day I agreed to make up my mind. And I have made up my mind. I will buy it if the processor indeed comes with the 3-year AMD warranty. But I think the price is too high if the processor turns out to be OEM.

So, in my frustration of trying to find out, I decide to simply place a claim for the unit. I had to sigh up and get a password and all that. I then filled out the RMA request form and sent it one its way. My plan was to simply cancel the RMA request once I found out if it was covered by warranty or not. Well, what happened next was I got an email from AMD in German! I replied to the email informing that I could only read English. I subsequently went into my user profile, and changed my language to English. - It was my mistake from the start. But now, I have heard nothing back from AMD. I thought I was going to be able to get status information on my RMA request online. But I do not find a way to do that. All I can do is find the original RMA signup page, and is that the word “history” on the right-most pane, but it is not a link, and it shows no real history.

Oh, and I did cut and past the German text into a web based language translator, but the results were such, that the message is unclear. It seems that what I was being told is that the processor was not eligible for RMA. But, as I say, I could be misinterpreting the poor translation. So I’m kind of right back where I started. What should I do? /excl.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='excl.gif' />

Thanks all,
Stan3200 /rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' />
 12/27/2005 08:03 PM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Straight up, If that CPU is installed in the computer, but the retailer your dealing with does not have the retail box that the CPU and heatsink came in, your not eligible for the three year retail warranty. The plastic box must be there.

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
 12/27/2005 08:36 PM

Author Icon
stan3200

QUOTE(Stone_age @ Dec 27 2005, 06:03 PM)Straight up, If that CPU is installed in the computer, but the retailer your dealing with does not have the retail box that the CPU and heatsink came in, your not eligible for the three year retail warranty. The plastic box must be there.
[right][snapback]576407[/snapback][/right]

Stone_age,

I have evidence that what you say is not so. /excl.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='excl.gif' />

My nephew purchased a computer on eBay, and it came with an Athlon 1800 PIB unit. After it became apparent that he processor was unstable, he called AMD and got an RMA number for it with no problem – event though he did not have the box. What he had was the CPU and AMD-supplied fan along with (and this is most important) the qualifying serial number that proves the CPU was originally a PIB unit. AMD choose to replace his processor with a new Athlon 2200! He is a happy camper. /laugh.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='laugh.gif' />

So you see, you don’t need the original box to get RMA support.

- stan3200 /rolleyes.gif' border='0' style='vertical-align:middle' alt='rolleyes.gif' />
 12/29/2005 08:55 PM

Author Icon
Stone_age
Alpha Geek

Well, that is contrary to what I've seen in the past, but, then again the last PIB i purchased was a K6-2 500.

http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=153' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=153

-------------------------
Phenom II X6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
Phenom II X4 945, Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H
Zacate E-350, MSI E350IS -E45

http://classicplatforms.com
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information