Increase font size
Topic Title: Don;t buy from Frys
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/10/2003 02:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/10/2003 02:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Enki

On Oct 23, I bought a cpu combo of a 2600. I was eager to have this computer set up. As soon as I tried many time to set up the computer, I end up in failure. It was then I found that the cpu core was chip very bad or bad. There was a possibillity that my heatsink may have crack it. I wanted to return it to Frys but, those greedy punks wouldn't accept the item, they blame me for physical damage on it. I was very frustrated and also angry. Why was I? Because I am a teenager at the age of 15, and spending 118 dollars for nothing is something you do not want to experience at my age.

I wanted to ask Amd if they can repair the cpu.
-The Cpu is a barebone and I am willing to pay for a repairement but not a full replacement.

Does Amd repair cpus?
 11/10/2003 02:51 AM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

I can't speak for AMD but I know unfortunately that there is no way to repair a CPU once damaged. It is very possible to damaged a CPU when installing the heatsink. AMD's retail heatsink/fan have detailed installation instructions to insure it is done properly without damage. The OEM CPUs are sold to companies in the PC industry that have trained technicians to properly install them without damage.

If the CPU was not damaged when you received it, you really can't blame Fry's for not taking it back for exchange because physical damage is not covered under any warranty. I know at age 15 that $118 is a lot of money, but to properly build a PC you need a lot of knowledge. It's not just a matter of assembling a few components and flipping on the power...

I'm sorry this has been a very expensive and painful experience for you, but it really isn't Fry's fault if you damaged the CPU and Fry would not be able to return it to AMD under warranty.

-------------------------
If only they knew...
 11/11/2003 03:34 AM

Author Icon
Enki

I need one more thing to know before I buy another Cpu.

Should I get the Boxed Cpu?
I am not sure of the differnce.
I want to get the retail box of the cpu so that way any physical damage upon installing the cpu I can return it asap!
 11/11/2003 03:42 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

The OEM-version is the CPU only and nothing else. The only warranty you will get is from the place where you buy it - there is no warranty from AMD for OEM-chips.

The retail-version will come in a plastic box with a HSF and a case-sticker. You get a 3yr-warranty from AMD, provided that you DO NOT use any other cooling solution than the HSF that came with you CPU.

If you physically damage the CPU during installation, i highly doubt you will get a replacement...from anyone. If you're not sure that you can install it without damaging it, i suggest you ask a friend who has successfully installed an AMD-CPU before or go to a local shop and have them install it for you.

EDIT: Read this' ">http://www.amd.com/us-en/Conne...%5E3243%5E2139,00.html for more info about AMD's warranty on retail-CPUs

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 11/12/2003 02:37 AM

Author Icon
Ivan Andreevich

Man you should've asked someone to mount the heatsink for you.. However, the core is quite hard to break. It might've been damaged already.

That's why I check the core when I am buying the CPU with my own eyes. I don't buy online cause those guys just want to screw you..
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information