Increase font size
Topic Title: ATHLON 550 (SLOT A) BEST VIDEO CARD
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/15/2003 10:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/15/2003 10:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
kipper

I presently have a ATI 32 meg Rage AGP card installed on this old 550 Slot A computer. I use it for network game playing with my son. Beleive it or not plays AOM and IC on lower settings with little problems. Have 256 megs of ram. Would I be throwing away money to upgrade to a newer video card? Also my motherboard is a K7M 1999 model. Very tough to find any info on this rare board. Does anyone know the largest Slot A chip that will work on this board? That is if I can find one.

11/16/2003 04:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Greyhound

According to Asus' site, the fastest CPU your mobo can handle would be a 1GHz Athlon T-Bird(Slot A) which is also the fastest Slot A-CPU available. Make sure you update your BIOS to the ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/beta/mb/bios/km132.zip' ">latest version before upgrading the CPU.

As for the videocard, AFAIK your mobo(or its AMD-750 chipset to be more specific) supports only AGP 1x/2x.
I don't think upgrading to a faster AGP 2x card would give you much of an increase in performance and then availability of such cards would be another problem(Ebay, maybe)

btw, since you mentioned you couldn't find info on your mobo, here's' ">http://www.asus.com/support/fa...del.aspx?ModelName=K7M Asus' FAQ

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information