Increase font size
Topic Title: BIOS Settings
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/04/2004 03:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/04/2004 03:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bruin

(all make & model info below)

My new processor/motherboard combination(that I bought at Fry's 2 weeks ago) is stable but much slower than I expected (maybe even slower than the Athlon 1400 I replaced) & I think it may be that my BIOS could be set better.

I was hoping you could email me the recommended settings & tell me if I want to clear my CMOS first.

My computer is not networked (other than the LAN used by my cable connection). I run a wide array of programs but primarily use the computer for internet, email, mpegs, mp3s, photo editing, Microsoft Office XP programs & some gaming. I’m running XP-Pro.

Processor:
AXDA2500BOX BARTON
FSB 333 1833MHZ .13

Motherboard:
Shuttle AN35[N] Ultra motherboard w/ nVidia eForce 2 400Ultra chipset

Video adaptor:
EVGA nVidia GeForce 4 MX400 (64 Meg)

RAM:
512 (DD)

Drives:
WD 1200JB 120 Gig
WD 80BB 80 Gig
DVD
CD-RW

Thanks in advance,

01/04/2004 04:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

First I would ask have you confirmed on boot that your CPU is running as an XP 2500+ and the memory is running at 333 MHz??? These will show up at the top of your PC screen on a "COLD" boot or after you've been in the BIOS and made a setting change. The CPU speed does not generally show on a "warm" boot on many PCs.

If your CPU is running at 1100 MHz which is common on new builds because the Mobo defaults to the lowest FSB of 100 and your CPU uses an "11" multiplier = 11 x 100 = 1100 MHz CPU speed, then all you need to do is go into the BIOS settings and correctly set the CPU FSB to 166 MHz and magically you will have a much faster PC running at 1833 MHz which is the correct clockspeed for the 2500+ XP CPU.

Second if the CPU is in fact running as a 2500+ XP did you benchmarked the new PC to obtain objective data on it's performance compared to the system it replaced??? If not how did you determine it isn't running at the proper speed???

Hopefully all you need to do is set the FSB to 166 MHz and you're good to go. If not then if this is an upgrade you likely will need to reformat the drive, install new drivers in the correct order, etc. to see the proper system performance

Let us know.

-------------------------
If only they knew...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information