Increase font size
Topic Title: Installing Heatsink On Athlon 2500+
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/10/2003 02:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/10/2003 02:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jim

I just received an Athlon 2500+ and am about to install it. It comes with very clear, full color, slick paper illustrations. The problem is the hold-down/clamping device on the heatsink is entirely different from the one in the nice illustrations.

The one in the illustrations is all metal and uses only one clamping lug on each side of the socket. The one that comes on the heatsink uses all three clamping lugs on both sides and has a green plastic actuator knob on the locking side.

I’ve read the horror stories on the web of people breaking/ruining almost everything possible (CPU, motherboard, their hand, etc.) doing this installation, so it would seem the clearest most certain understanding of the procedure is called for.

I suppose the basic question is how is one expected to use/apply force to the green plastic gadget? I can probably guess the answer as well as anyone. So, does anyone KNOW the AMD approved method?

Thanks.

Jim

Note: Yes I’ve checked the instructions on this website and they also show the all metal one lug design.
 12/10/2003 02:51 AM

Author Icon
mr._Anderson

QUOTE (jim @ Dec 9 2003, 11:01 PM) I just received an Athlon 2500+ and am about to install it.  It comes with very clear, full color, slick paper illustrations.  The problem is the hold-down/clamping device on the heatsink is entirely different from the one in the nice illustrations.

The one in the illustrations is all metal and uses only one clamping lug on each side of the socket.  The one that comes on the heatsink uses all three clamping lugs on both sides and has a green plastic actuator knob on the locking side.

I’ve read the horror stories on the web of people breaking/ruining almost everything possible (CPU, motherboard, their hand, etc.) doing this installation, so it would seem the clearest most certain understanding of the procedure is called for. 

I suppose the basic question is how is one expected to use/apply force to the green plastic gadget?  I can probably guess the answer as well as anyone.  So, does anyone KNOW the AMD approved method?

Thanks.

Jim

Note:  Yes I’ve checked the instructions on this website and they also show the all metal one lug design.
I don't really think there is an approved method
You can do this on different ways..

what you must do is always handle with care, and don't be rough with it.
Put the motherboard somewhere safe on a solid underground,
and make sure you have enough space to see clearly what you are doing.
Then just very gently put the HSF on the socket.

You can either push with you fingers to the green plastic part, and you can also put a srew driver in the green plastic part.
I do suggest you use a srewdriver because then you can keep the clamp from scratching the socket lugs!

Again, always do this all gently and controlled! Take you time, and take your space.

I always put the motherboard in the casing, and check if I can screw it in their without any problems. Then I take it out and put it on the table where it is solid and I can reach it from every thinkable angle. I have enough light, and sights to be able to put the HSF controlled and gently onto the socket.
Then I carefully place the motherboard back into the casing NOT HOLDING IT by the HSF !!!!

This should work for you.. just be gentle and carefull, and make sure you see what you are doing! If you think you are breaking stuff... stop and try again.

-------------------------
AMD Athlon64 3200+ (nov. 2003)
Asus K8V Deluxe (nov. 2003)<
 12/10/2003 10:31 AM

Author Icon
ÂMĐF®ëâĸ

If you're reluctant to clamp the clip with screwdriver, use nutdriver instead, it'll dramatically reduce your chances of slippage and scratch that mobo, rendering it as a doorstop!

"Wild flowers may die, but the blooming idiots last forever!"

ÂMĐF®ëâĸ
PC Doctor of Jacksonville

InWin Q500N ATX, EPoX EP-8KHA+/AMD Athlon 1333/Thermaltake Volcano 6Cu+, ATI Xpert2000
 12/10/2003 10:44 AM

Author Icon
blueice

I use a soft cloth on top of a nice thick piece of styrofoam under the mobo when installing heatsink...that way it has some give..

MSI K7N2 Delta Ultra 400
AMD Barton 2500+ oc'd to 3200+ (200x11)=2.21ghz
Antec 430W True430 * stock HSF w Arctic Silver III
2x512 Buffalo DDR400 CL 2.5 Winbond
Vantec Iceburg RAM heatspreaders
Chieftec Dragon server tower w/ 2 intake, 2 exhaust fans
Gainward FX5900 Ultra 128mb 400/850
WD 120GB 7200rpm SATA * Windows XP Pro
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information