Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Topic Summary: NTLDR is missing
Created On: 04/22/2008 11:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/22/2008 11:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
theproff57

I have an AMD Athlon tm XP 2400+, Version 2002, 1.99 GHz,736MB of Ram in a emachine model: T-2482.This computer has "Restore CDs" for this model of WindowsXP.The computer started doing some weird things then one day I couldn't get it to the desktop.I saved as much as I could from the HDs in the unit on CDs. Then I couldn't get it to work hardly at all. I got some of these messages: General Protection Fault in RMCB. I tried "Safe Mode" and it would not let me in stating; NTLDR is missing.I tried a "System Restore" has two discs. The first disc worked and the second disc started then gave me this message after a reboot and a CHKDSK of NTFS sys. I was told when I get a blue screen I'm in big trouble.I wrote to Mircosoft Online Crash Analysis with an error message about a "device driver" that was shutting down the system.Microsoft was unable to determine where the exact cause of the error.I was told that the Hard Drive is bad or Motherboard, processor or that device driver.After taking the computer a part piece by piece and restarting it still did not work. I did not try a new HD. Not sure what to replace or check at this time.What can you determine by all the info that I have supplied?What do I need to do?
 04/22/2008 11:40 PM

Author Icon
geezer_wheelz
Elite

Welcome to the forum

If I understand right you could not finish the restore process right?

If not then make sure the CD is clean and free from scratches, and if so then try a different CD/DVD player and see if you can finish the restore process.

So far from your description it mostly sounds like software issues. DO you have access to a regular XP install disk by chance? If you do the serial number for your system will work with the XP install disk.

Please post back regarding my questions

Good luck

-------------------------
Asus M4A79 Deluxe, Phenom II 940 BE, 20,770 3D06

Asus Moderator ~ My CPU Overheating Guide
 04/23/2008 12:06 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

FIC AM37 mainboard, not known to be the greatest board, these machines are a bit older so the first thing I'd ask you to look at would be the capacitors on the mainboard and check to see if the tops are bloated or if the capacitors were leaking and brown junk at the top or the bottom. If they look good, the next thing to try would be a spare working power supply, emachines used cheap power supplies from Bestec in those machines...

May be as simple as swapping out the power supply, if you lack the ability to spinup the hard drive, then you will get drive errors etcetera because the system just can't get the drive going.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information