Increase font size
Topic Title: Questions on how to lower heat
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/01/2004 04:28 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/01/2004 04:28 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
[255]

Well, while my pc is down untill i buy a new PSU (tomorrow, perfect excuse for a fry's shopping spree) i still have my system at work (bwahaha) anyway.. i wanted to figure out a couple things...
I was wondering what the general heat range for a 2600+ 266fsb (cause i know there's a 333fsb version out too) processor is...
And also.. what are some measures i could do to reduce heat in my case just a little bit more... as colder is always better (within reason)
i currently have an areo 7+ (cooler master) heatsink / fan, wich runs on max nearly all the time...
and a.. uh... 60mm or so fan as an exaust...
i have an 80mm fan wich i plan to install on the side, once i get my hands on a dremel so i can start carving my case *insert evil mechanical laughter* and using the 60mm fan as an intake, (since its near the heatsink fan) and the 80mm as an exaust...
i also have some artic silver 3 wich i've installed, very very carefuly... heh...

i dont even OC anything, and im so buggy about heat issues... so much so, i want a better heatsink / fan for my video card.. heh heh... i know, im weird.
anyway, all info is appriciated, thanks

-------------------------
Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
2gig gskill @ DDR456 - 2.5-3-3-6
Saphire ATI Radeon x850xt @ 560/580 -SOLD-... Had to make ends meet.
 04/01/2004 04:51 AM

Author Icon
Dizz

What is the temps your machine run? I also have a 2600+ wih the Cooler Master™ Jet7 AMD Jet Blower Fan With Copper Fin Heatsink & Fan Speed Controll. Removed my side cover and overclocked my cpu to a 2800+ and runs @ a temp of 55 degrees max playing Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time. I droped 10 degrees just by removing my side pannel.

If your pc is stable, then there is nothing to worry about. If you havent updated your Bios yet, then you are reading the wrong temps.

You don't stop playing because you get older, You get older because you stoped playing.
 04/01/2004 05:10 AM

Author Icon
[255]

my last bios update was back in feb (at least, when i updated it) so i believe its current, and as for the temps, untill i get a new PSU, i wont know, lol....
i never really payed much attention to them, as i never had a big problem, cept during the sweltering hot summers, with no money, so running AC was out of the question... YAY CALIFORNIA ENERGY CRISIS! and our sky-high electricity rates to boot... bleh..
anyway...
removing the side panel in my system is not an option, i have 2 cats that shed like nothin else, one of wich is a very curious kitten. Oh, and tons of dust..
Another neat way to reduce heat, is to build a small stand for your pc, and keep it about 3-4 inches off of your floor, that will drop the temp about 3-4 C (not sure if that works with the case off)
I'll update with temps under full load once i get a new PSU installed
Any good idea's on a good heat display, i dont like Motherboard Monitor....
something very simple and uses very little resources perferably...

Thanks

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
 04/01/2004 09:05 AM

Author Icon
klrk1400

You an try Speedfan' ">http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php for temp monitoring.

To help keep everything cool make sure wires are tied up and out of the way. From reading you post is sounds like you have a 60mm fan on the back. I have a system that has a 60mm fan and the fan just didn't move enough air. I added one that ran faster. The only down side was it was a whole lot more nosier. Something you might try is using an adapter and putting an 80mm on the back of your exhausting.

Folding for Team #34106' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showforum=27
 04/07/2004 08:08 AM

Author Icon
[255]

Tried speedfan, and i love that program, its a very good util, thanks

But now i've noticed my cpu is at 40-41C during very minimal load...
and 45C under full cpu load (i love fractural video testing )
anyway..
i want it down to 35C or lower idle... and a max of 40 C under full load...

I havnt unstalled my 80mm fan yet, as i cant get my hands on a dremel to carve out my case...
current cooling measures taken
Areo 7+ processor fan/heatsink
60mm exaust fan
rounded ide cables
No floppy cables (no floppy drive)
Arctic silver 3 (im amazed that stuff actualy works)

My current system setup, incase this might help
Abit kx7-333
Amd 2600+ 266
512 Kingston 2100
128 Kingston 2100
Maxtor 40gig hd
Maxtor 120 gig hd x2
TDK 48x cd/cdrw
500w Alliance psu
ATI Radeon 8500 (128 ram)

any advice on how to drop that temp lower, would be much appriciated
thanks

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
 04/07/2004 11:49 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE i want it down to 35C or lower idle... and a max of 40 C under full load...

Move to Alaska...You are going to need to push a lot of COLD air to see those temperatures...Or ditch the computer case and mount all components on a nice piece of plywood, birds eye maple perhaps...

Try running your case without the sides on it for a while, the deal is your have a lot of components creating heat in a small box, unless you can effeciently remove that heat in a quick manner, then the temperatures will never be as low as you want them to be.

Later

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

04/07/2004 05:08 PM

Author Icon
[255]

Unfortunetly i know that removing the side of my case would allow for alot of heat dispersion and make things more efficient... but i have 2 very curious and evil cats... so removing my side case would kill my computer in the long run
i also plan on moving my 120's into another computer (im going to build a file-server / dedicated game server, since we're always downloading stupid stuff and playing network games)
anyway... that alaska thing might be a good idea... California sucks right now

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
 04/07/2004 05:20 PM

Author Icon
Slaitech

yea, your not gonna achieve 35C on air cooling unless your keep your room very very cool :-)

you might be able to achieve 35C using water cooling, but that can get complicated if you havnt messed with it before and well, expensive :-P

Anyway, to keep the dust out you can buy fan filters for your case fans, just clean them out once a week and you'll be set

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Clawhammer
Gigabyte K8V800MAE K8T800 Mainboard
2x 512 MB Kingston Hyper X DDR400
PNY Verto GeForce 6800 GT 256 MB
 04/07/2004 10:45 PM

Author Icon
[255]

in order for me to keep my system clean from dust, via fan filters, im going to have to find something to block my 5 1/5 cd rom bay that's open cause i yanked my old cd rom and tossed it, so i could install another 120.. whee
good times.....
and in the summer, my system will be cold.. im right next to the air duct....
so.. summer.. ac = cold system...
winter... heater = hot system....
Bleh!
i got a big ole board to block the air duct in the winter.. heh heh

Opty 170 @ 2.5ghz
Asus A8N32 SLI Deluxe
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information