Increase font size
Topic Title: Wrong heatsink?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/06/2004 10:05 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/06/2004 10:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KT Kore

I'm a total newbie at building PC's. I thought I'd give it a try. I'm so afraid...lol.

Anyway. I'm trying to build an AMD Athlon Barton 3200+ system on a socket A (socket 462) ASUS A7N8X-E deluxe motherboard. The processor came with its own heatsink/fan (I'm on a tight budget -- no plans to overclock) said to be designed for socket A. The heatsinks shown in the documentation that came with it show images of a heatsink with a step on the edge to prevent it from touching the socket. But the actual heatsink has no step, but it's not exactly flat, either. Rather, it has a metal plate screwed in the middle with thermal compound (did not come with film to peel off, but rather a cover to take off [yeah I know, better cooling will be the result of not using said compound]). Also, in the documentation, the retention clips in the images for the heatsink only have one hook to fit in the middle socket lug, but the actual heatsink has three hooks which look as though they're supposed to go on all three socket lugs.

I am placing the the clips in the right spot, but I can only seem to get one side hooked in (I don't think I've screwed up the thermal compound so I think I can keep trying), the other side seems too high for the socket lugs. Do you think the wrong heatsink may have been packaged or I ordered the wrong one (seems doubtful) or am I doing something wrong in the installation?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
 04/06/2004 10:26 PM

Author Icon
desteven

Hard to say without some pics, but everytime i've ordered a cpu/mobo combo, they send me the reccomended stock HSF.

After getting one side in, it does take some deal of pressure to lock in the other side. The first time I did it I was afraid I was forcing the issue way to much, but just nudged it a bit more and it locked right in.

The documentation usually has instructions for more than one type of heatsink, im not callin you dumb but make sure you are looking at the right one.

g'luck
 04/07/2004 01:14 AM

Author Icon
KT Kore

I didn't buy a motherboard/CPU combo. The Athlon I bought came packaged with a heatsink/fan -- if that's any help. This is what I purchased: http://www.newegg.com/app/View...esc....-103-390&depa=1' ">http://www.newegg.com/app/View...tion=19-103-390&depa=1

The documentation did not state various ways for various heatsinks, all it said was "Note: Your heatsink may vary in appearance from the heatsink illustrated," which you can probably guess didn't help much.

This is a heatsink that has the three-hole retention clips that mine has:

This is a heatsink that has the indentation step that prevents the sink from touching the socket that my heatsink does not have:

And here is a [bad] drawing I did in paint (since I searched for a while on the net and could not find one like it) of the heatsink/fan that came with my processor:

Since it has no indentation step, I'm not sure if it is fitting correctly and I am afraid to try anything until I know that it is possible to get the thing fitted and in proper working order.
 04/07/2004 01:21 AM

Author Icon
desteven

I see now. I'm not sure what to say. Without the indention it certainly doesn't seem like it will fit, I went digging for my old stock heatsink (for a Socket A) and it does have the indention.

Maybe they packaged the wrong one? I dunno, I'm still a newbie at this hardaware stuff so I'm not gonna make anymore suggestions, except go to your nearest computer store and ask some questions. I don't think they will charge you for it. And if you do need a new heatsink, you can get one for a mere 20 bux.

04/10/2004 12:36 PM

Author Icon
KT Kore

Alright. I've confirmed that I do, indeed, have the correct HSF and I have made some progress in installing it. I've gotten one side hooked in (the side opposite to the "socket 462" side, the first time I got the "socket 462" side hooked in first -- which is wrong). Having a bit of trouble getting the other side hooked in. Seems the lugs are about a centimeter too far away when I press the clip down and outward.

Bah -- I really suck at this. I've seen a couple of video clips which make it look effortless. How encouraging. I bet I've already destroyed the processor and my motherboard. lol

EDIT: I just took out the processor and tried to install the HSF without it. I installed it with ease. So I guess the processor's small amount of height over the socket is screwing me up a bit.

Do you guys know of any safe techniques to get the clip up and over? Sorry if I seem too newbie-ish.
 04/10/2004 10:45 PM

Author Icon
klrk1400

The retention clips are too stiff to attach the second clip without a screwdriver.

There is a slot for a small slotted screwdriver to fit in. Very carefully using the screwdriver push down and push the clip onto the tabs. You want to put a credit card, ID Card or something similar down near the tabs incase the screwdriver slips. This way it you don't strike the motherboard.

-------------------------

Folding for Team #34106' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showforum=27
 04/11/2004 12:59 AM

Author Icon
KT Kore

Yeah, I've been using a flathead screwdriver. It pushes it right on top of the lugs about a centimeter away from the edge even when I push slightly outward (or at least try to). It seems a bit impossible to get it over the edge, but I know it's not. So I was wondering if anyone knew any safe technique to get it over without breaking or cracking anything. I'm very worried about the core. I don't know if I'm being too paranoid or not paranoid enough.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information