Increase font size
Topic Title: Too HOT or WHAT? another Athlon 2400
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/01/2004 03:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/01/2004 03:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Arcc

Hey Guys, (Please Help)

I have just installed a budget upgrade (GIGABYTE 7S748,512-3200,XP2400 bundle) and it booted up without a problem. Runs great though I haven't really stressed tested it yet.

THE THING IS HOWEVER when, out of curiosity I checked the CPU temp, I was shocked to find the thing IDLING around 67 DEGREES.

From what I understand thats a TAD high.

The system seems very stable, I would like to think that it may be an error in the temperature calibration but I am not sure.

I do have the HS&Fan on right, its got the thermal tape not the paste. Maybe thats the problem.

After being off for 8 hours I switched my computer on and went straight to Bio / PC Health. Within 15 Sec of switching it on the Bio was saying the CPU was 50 degrees.

Is this evidence of inaccurate temperature reading? or

Can a PC really hiit 60 degrees after 15 seconds?

ANY ideas?

Thanks

Arc

p.s. I have the standard CPU HS&FAN plus three cooling fans (front and back IN, top blow hole OUT.)

I know the standard HS&Fan are crap but 67degrees,
Son of a Diddly.

I'm into modding and I like the look of the new Coolmaster Jet7 but I think more investigation is needed at this stage.

Love to hear from anyone with an opinion.

Arc
 01/01/2004 03:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcy

Hi,

It be great if you could get the CPU temp sooner than that, 5 secs after powering on, in teh bios.

But even so: NO... the CPU cannot realistically get to 50C from room temp in 15 secs but still max out at 67C

Assuming your rooms is at 25C or less, the CPU could only reach that sort of temp so fast if there was no heatsink, or very poor thermal contact between the CPU and the heatsink. Either way ot would keep on going up, and probably have fried long ago.

How to tell...

1. Try to get a temp reading closer to power on.
2. See what the heatsink temp is after the computer has been on for a time. Even putting you hand on teh heatsink (carefully) is enough.
3. Download Prime95. Run the machine for 15 mins and take the Idle CPU temp. Run Prime 95 for 15 mins and take the Full Load CPU temp. If teh difference is 10C or less that's fine.

Tell us these temps, plus your room temp.

Peter

Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information