AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with SiS746 and 2600+ Barton?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/04/2004 12:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/04/2004 12:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Ufomies

Hi.

I bought a new Asrock K7S8X motherboard with AMI BIOS 2.2 and SiS746 Chipset and also a new XP 2600+ (Barton), which seem to have some problems working together, although I am not sure about it... See, my system is quite stable in general, but there are some mysterious crc or component errors that happen, when trying to unpack compressed files such as .rar or .cab. These errors happen dependless on the origin of the source file, both downloaded files and files on CD/DVD seem to cause these crc/component errors. The weird part is, that even files that have been successfully written on CD-Rs on another computer cause the errors. I have already updated the drivers for LAN and the IDE controller, but now started to believe that it could be a problem with chipset-CPU-compatibility... I hope you guys could help me out a bit with trying to solve this problem. One weird thing is that SiSoft Sandra 2004 is showing the maximum FSB speed for the chipset to be 266MHz, but my Barton runs fine with 333MHz, as supposed. ASRock is saying that the chipset is good for 333/Barton. I have 2x256MB DDR333 running on 2.5-3-3-9, so there shouldn't be any problems with the memory.

If you have any suggestions about making those nasty crc errors go away for good, please tell me...
 05/04/2004 05:43 PM

Author Icon
Wildcard

Hi there.

Some thoughts..

. Your two DIMMS 333 dims - although this board has 3 slots, only two at a time can accept DDR 333 DIMMs. I think you've most likely sorted that one, but just wanted to rule it out. You can check CPU/memory integrity with a program like Prime95.

. You only encounter problems when attempting to manipulate RAR files, right?

. RAR files can also be manipulated with other programs, such as Winzip or WinACE; see if you can install one of these and do the same - uncompress those files with them and see if you get the same errors. This will rule out whether or not there is a bug somewhere along the line with your WinRAR installation. Always use the latest versions of any compression software.

. Run a System file check to check your OS integrity as well as scandisk to check the status of your hard drive.

. Also, have you virus-checked your entire system?

There shouldn't be an issue with these boards and 2600+ Barton cores since the board can run FSB and memory at 400MHz.

-------------------------
. AMD CPU Data: http://www.tomshardware.com/20.../amd...ult/page23.html & http://www.amdboard.com/amdid.html
. Belarc Advisor: http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html
. GPU Comparison for Laptops: <a href="http://www.notebookche
 05/04/2004 07:29 PM

Author Icon
Ufomies

Thanks for your reply, mate ;o)

I am also encountering these problems, whenever there is a .cab file being unpacked. For example, as I am trying to install my original DVD copy of Metal Gear Solid 2, there is a cabinet crc/component failure each and every time. The same thing occurs with other games too, most recently with Syberia 2, which wasn't even on disc, but I was using Alcohol 120% for mounting .cues and the game was installing okay at first, but there is something weird with extracting big .cab files.

I haven't done an integrity check yet, but I am going to repair-install my Windows XP Pro. After running chkdsk /a on the recovery console, everything seems to be in order, what comes to the disks... There is not a single virus on my system, which is good ;o)

Anyway, I am still wondering if there is a remote possibility with the chipset being a bit unstable with my current CPU... Or maybe there is something wrong with my memory. Gotta tweak BIOS a bit and see what happens.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information