Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another heat issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/04/2004 05:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/04/2004 05:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
desteven

I have my current comp which i love and i rebuilt my 3.5 year old comp (hd, video, floppy, etc) The processor is recognized as an Athlon™ Processor. It's not an XP and I remember when I bought it, it was listed to run at 1.4Ghz. I've been running it at 1Ghz for the past few months and decided to get inside and bump it up to 1.4Ghz, but in the bios it heats up to about 55c before I decide to shut it down. Seems like it will keep climbing.

I've now set the FSB at 100 and the multiplier at 12.5. It still heats up to about 50c.

What can I do to keep the temps down? If i bought it specified to run at that speed I don't think it should be running that hot. I've messed with the vcore settings but it don't seem to help none. I don't know much about vcore, can anyone enlighten me a bit?

Thanks
 05/04/2004 05:58 PM

Author Icon
WaltBugatti

From some replies I got in my heating thread,id say 50 C is an ok temp.

I did some research on heating when i though it was the prob of my reboots,i learned there are some great thermal gels out there.Also rounded IDE cables will help air flow.
 05/04/2004 06:02 PM

Author Icon
klrk1400

If you haven't done so a good case and heatsink cleaning will help on a older system. Make sure cables are tied up and out of the way. If you don't have one intake and one exhaust fan (not counting PowerSupply) then you may want to and fan/s. One in the lower fron one towards the upper back.

Also as Walt stated 50C is within range. You can run Price95 Torture Test and monitor temps to see what you running under a full load. Do a Google seach for Price95 if you don't have it.

-------------------------

Folding for Team #34106' ">http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showforum=27
 05/04/2004 06:23 PM

Author Icon
desteven

Well, I set it to run at 1.2Ghz (100 x 12) and I let it sit at the bios temp screen for about 30 minutes. It seems to have stabalized at 60c. That's kinda high hehe. The good thing about this old comp is i'm willing to try anything on it, if the processor fries its ok, I still got my new one.

So it's a good toy to play with
 05/04/2004 06:37 PM

Author Icon
WaltBugatti

good stuff,wouldnt mind having a toy to mess around with,maybe try my hand at over clocking.

Btw thanks Klrk for the program tip ill have to tpy around with that when i get home.

Btw i added an exaust fas to the back of my comp and it made a world of difference also added rounded IDE cables with while a bit on the expensive side help out alot.
 05/05/2004 07:42 AM

Author Icon
action man

if its a 1400MHz athlon then theres a good chance its a 133MHz fsb part. try putting the fsb to 133 witha 10.5multiplier. im assuming you have pc133sdram or pc2100ddr right? if not set the mem to run at 100MHz and the fsb at 133MHz.
ALL ASSUMING YOU HAVE A TBIRD "C" AND NOT A TBIRD"B"

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 05/05/2004 12:04 PM

Author Icon
desteven

that's the problem, I don't remember what kind of processor it is, and I have no idea how to find out
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information