Increase font size
Topic Title: Boot problems.
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/03/2004 06:10 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/03/2004 06:10 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
sugii

I dont know if this falls under that "boot/reset" thing, but if it does dont hurt me.

I just put into my computer a new motherboard (Asus A7V600), cpu (athalon 2400+), and new memory sticks (1gb corsair). I reinstalled windows xp without any problems. After the reinstall I rebooted as told to and when I go to "windows xp is loading" screen it takes me to the "you have incorrectly shut down your computer" screen where I can choose safe mode, normal mode, or the last working configuration. After I choose one (does the same for all) the computer gives me a beep and reboots and goes back to the same screen, "you have incorrectly shut down your comptuer." It keeps doing this, like an endless loop. Any suggestions?
 01/03/2004 08:51 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcy

Hi,

Start by downloading MemTest86 (I'm assuming you have a different computer available). You will find that you create a floppy, and then boot from the floppy to run MemTest86.

It's not that I suspect RAM, but as MemTest86 boots off the floppy it does not matter that Windows won't boot.

If Memtest86 runs without any errors (for a couple of hours):
1. Reduce the FSB in the bios and see if Windows will Load
2. If not, re-install WinXP.

But if MemTest throws up errors, post back and we'll start by fixing those.

Peter
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information