Increase font size
Topic Title: Heat Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/04/2004 06:52 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/04/2004 06:52 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DF Beck

I just recently up graded my mb to a K7 NCR 18d Pro and an AMD XP 2400. The software that comes with the board has some neat functions such as the ability to overclock and a bunch of system monitors: adjustable system voltages, vcore, vddq, and vmem readouts, fan speeds, processor temp and warnings, etc. I have yet to alter any of the options since I have had a series of high temp warnings from the processor.

I purchased all of the components from a store that deals only in computers and assumed that they knew what they were talking about. The AMD processor was sold with a tube of lithium grease which I used as recommended. I have a heat sink and fan on the processor as well as two case fans, one pushing air in from the front and the other pulling air out the back directly across the heat sink. I am getting high temp alarms after playing a graphics intensive game (Hitman 2) for no more than 20 minutes.

I have just viewed AMD's video on processor cooling which stated that grease is only to be used if the heat sink is installed on a relatively temporary basis. I had never heard of that before and apparently neither had the store I bought everything from since they are the ones who supplied the grease with the processor.

Does AMD's advice mean that grease is insufficient to transfer heat or is it simply something that I don't want to use longterm? Fortunately the system has an alarm that my neighbors can hear when the processor reachs a temp that is 4 degrees below an automatic shutdown - 66 degrees. Shutdown is 70.

The problem I have is that I live an hour and a half from the nearest computer store and would prefer not to make the 3 hour trip unless I have no other choice.

Comments? Advice?
 01/04/2004 09:01 PM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

Some thermal grease deteriorates over time and can result in poor conduction of heat, which could ultimately burn up your CPU. The top brands of thermal compounds like Arctic Silver and others do not generally suffer these problems but AMD has no way to test every thermal compound sold Worldwide so they prefer to error on the safe side and use TIM for the XP series CPU's which have very small CPU dies and need good thermal transfer to prevent overheating.

Everyone has there favorite thermal compound but based on any number of tests Arctic Silvers products are some of if not the top thermal compounds available. I personally use the Ceramique from Arctic Silver as it is non-conductive and can't short circuit electrical contacts like some other compounds. In addition Ceramique is about as good as you can get for thermal transfer too and it will not deteriorate over time. I would recommend you switch to Ceramique if you can in the near future. That doesn't mean there is a panic, but most low cost thermal compounds sold at PC stores, Radio Shack and elsewhere are for general use, and are less than ideal for a current day performance PC system CPU application.

The Arctic Silver website has all the product details and important installation instructions for proper use of their products. In the case of thermal compounds you want the thinnest possible layer of compound so it just fills any surface imperfections in the heatsink and CPU die. See the Arctic Silver website for good tech info. on proper installation as excess thermal compound is a real no-no on CPUs.

Arctic Silver Website' ">http://www.arcticsilver.com

-------------------------
If only they knew...
 01/05/2004 12:02 PM

Author Icon
DF Beck

Your advice is greatly appreciated and vary helpful. I found the syringe like applicator that came with the processor and with no labeling or other information at all I have to assume it's one of the cheapest products the store could supply. I'm calling around to find Artic Silver but will order it from their site if necessary.

Again, I appreciate the info since I would be very unhappy to have to replace a one month old processor.

I also learned not to trust the people I assumed were pros at a store that deals only in computers.

DF.
 01/05/2004 01:52 PM

Author Icon
BEENTHERE

Glad to help!

-------------------------
If only they knew...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information