Increase font size
Topic Title: Possible bad cpu?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/08/2004 01:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/08/2004 01:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Rooster

Hi all,
Here is the deal. My dad's system was running perfectly for about a year now and a couple days ago when he turned it on it would not post. He turned if off and when he turned it on again it went right to the system bios menu. It had a error message saying something like...the system hung on previous boot due to improper cpu frequency setting. Now when you turn it on, it does not get past the post splash screen, and the system is froze. I tried using different memory from my system but that didn't help. He is using a Asus A7V8X-X m/b, and a XP 2000 266mhz cpu, and Corsair pc 2700 memory. I did not check to see if the led light on the monitor changed to green or not like it said in the tech tips. I will try and reset the bios CMOS tomorrow and see what that does.

Any tips from anybody would be great!
Thanks.
 03/08/2004 02:00 AM

Author Icon
molliedgreat

Did you experience electrical surges prior to the error? Sometimes electrical surges causes the CMOS data to reset and could be easily fixed by making the proper settings in the BIOS. But you stated that the system freezes during POST...can you still get into the BIOS screen? Also electrical surges can damage your components. This could also be caused by a faulty power supply.

-------------------------
Barya Lang Po Sa Umaga.
 03/08/2004 04:36 PM

Author Icon
Rooster

I don't know of any power surges. And no, I can't get to the system bios. Today when I tried to turn it on, I got nothing on the monitor except the bouncing "RGB" screeen. But the case fan and the cpu fan came on. I will try and change the power supply today. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
 03/08/2004 06:15 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

Could be the video card. If the fans and all work the psu is probably ok.

-------------------------
( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information