Increase font size
Topic Title: Post & Windows Issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/03/2004 06:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/03/2004 06:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bohica

Well, my PC worked fine at lunch, left it running and came back at diner and it was shut down. Hit the power buttong and no post. PART of the Award Bios image, half the blue ribbon, in the top left corner appears, post beep, then freezes; no Bios ver., no memory test, dead. Now if I keep trying a combination of resets and power cycles it eventually will boot. However, when I get into WinXPpro it almost immediately freezed, hard reset required and I'm back to the post problem. I first thought the freezing was Windows but it's doing it on post, and barely that. It was originally doing the same freezing in SafeMode/VGA Mode. But after my last fresh install of WindowsXP now I can get into SM without it freezing. Checked and reinstalled all device drivers, but same problem getting into Windows Normal Mode. But the post freezing leads me to think it is hardware related. If I'm correct is there any way to test them, MB and CPU(outside of Windows), without buying new ones?

I have done the following troubleshooting to narrow it down.
- Removed all devices except 1 HD, 1 RAM, and gen PCI vid card
- Tried different RAM slots and different modules
- Tried different HD
- Tried formatting HD, same thing
- Tried different Vid Card and slot non-AGP
- Serial mouse (just for giggles)
- Reset the Bios to default (no over clocking)

** The only things not tried or swapped is the MB and CPU, which I do not have access to spares. Don't have the money to buy them just to test, but vendors won't exchange without a test or knowing. Catch 22

Any ideas, TIA
Bohica

PC Specs:
A7N8X Deluxe v2.0
AMD Athlon 2500+ Barton
512Mb Corsair PC-3200C2 RAM Dual Channel (2x 256Mb)
480W Thermaltake PS
Maxtor HDs Different ones tested 40,80,120Gb
Gainward GF3 TI-200 Gold
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information