Increase font size
Topic Title: Crash with External Cache Enabled
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/16/2004 10:22 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/16/2004 10:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
dirtyp

I am not a wiz with computer jargon so bare with me...

Sys info:
Athlon XP 1900+
Soltek SL-75DRV4
1G DDR 2100 RAM
1 - 40GB Maxtor Drives @ 7200 RPM
1 - 160GB WD drive @ 7200 RPM
Windows XP Pro Upgrade

My computer recently developed a hankering for crashing. Sometimes I get an error message and sometimes I don't and it just hangs. Sometimes it is an error window and says it is a "The memory could not be read" error in a little window and sometimes it is the BLUE screen crash. The blue screen crash said to possibly disable the external cache to see if that corrects the issue. I have disabled the external cache and L2 cache from the bios and the system works fine.

My question is what is the external cache in reference to? Is it the cache on the CPU? And if so, does this mean my CPU is bad?

I have downloaded a copy of BurnInTest and run it to test both the CPU and the memory and both come out fine. But, whenever I try to do normal PC work with the external cache enabled from the bios, I crash constantly.

I have had this computer for just over 2 years now and this is the first time this has started to occur. All settings on the MB are set as stated by the book, no overclocking of any sort.

Thanks,
DP
 05/16/2004 01:49 PM

Author Icon
dirtyp

Well, I figured it might be that I am running pretty high in temp. I was running at 54C. Since it has been two years and not knowing that I needed to frequently replace the paste, I have now done so. However after firring the machine back up, and after 20 minutes of idle it hit 52C. So obviously this is not working.
 05/17/2004 02:48 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE My question is what is the external cache in reference to? Is it the cache on the CPU?
The 'external cache' is your processors' L2-cache and yes, it is on-die(i.e integrated into the CPU-core). The term 'external cache' refers to the fact that the L2-cache used to be on the motherboard rather than on the CPU itself - ALL modern CPUs have the L2-cache integrated into the CPU-core, tho.
QUOTE And if so, does this mean my CPU is bad?
Possible, but not necessarily.
I recommend you try to check your memory with Memtest86' ">http://www.memtest86.org while leaving your L2-cache/external cache enabled.
Also, please post your voltages(+12V, +5V, Vcore, Vdimm, etc) as displayed in BIOS - you can usually find them in the 'PC Health Status' or 'Hardware Monitor' menu.
QUOTE Well, I figured it might be that I am running pretty high in temp. I was running at 54C. Since it has been two years and not knowing that I needed to frequently replace the paste, I have now done so. However after firring the machine back up, and after 20 minutes of idle it hit 52C. So obviously this is not working.
Around 50°C idle is pretty normal...max temp for your processor is 90°C.
You might want to leave your case door open and let a big fan blow directly on the motherboard to determine whether you have a heat-issue or not - if this doesn't eliminate your stability-issues, they're most likely not heat-related.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 05/17/2004 08:17 PM

Author Icon
CaptainNewbie

I would think that if you error with L2 engaged ONLY, then you do have a faulty CPU. Do do as Greyhound suggests, but I would also think about finding a replacement CPU.

-------------------------
Captain Newbie - Resident Smart-Aleck
The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyone cool...except for me, of course.
The Keys to Knowledge are found in Books.
 05/18/2004 08:25 AM

Author Icon
dirtyp

Well I say that my max CPU temp was 90C, so I figured that wasn't it either. I will post my voltages when I get a chance, more than likely this evening. I renabled all caches and for the last 2 days I have not had any issues. I will give Memtest86 a shot and report that as well.

Thanks for all your help,
DirtyP
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information