Increase font size
Topic Title: AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core 640 Possible Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/21/2010 05:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/21/2010 05:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
thenomadsoul
Lurker

Hi, I'm in the same position as Bulit on this thread: Bulit's AMD Athlon II X4 640 problem; I was going to post on that thread but thought it better to start a new one.

I recently built my own system using the same processor.

Here's the rest of the spec I used:

Xigmatek 600W NRP-PC602 80 PLUS Silent Power Supply
AMD Athlon II X4 Quad Core 640 3.0GHz (Socket AM3) Processor
Nexus Real Silent 120mm Fan with PWM control X2
VTX ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
CoolerMaster Elite 340 Micro-ATX Tower Case
Samsung HD103SJ SpinPoint F3 1TB SATA-II 3.5" Hard Drive
OCZ Gold 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C9 1333MHz Dual Channel Kit
Asus M4A88TD-M EVO/USB3 AMD 880
Sony AD-7260S-0B 24x Internal DVD±R/RW/Ram Drive
Windows 7

Room Temp: approx 12-16 Celsius (50-60 Fahrenheit).

Cool n quiet is enabled in BIOS.

I built the system myself, but initially wasn't able to get a POST screen. Nonetheless, I was able to hear the PSU and CPU running and they were very quiet. Anyhow, I returned the system to where I'd bought the components and they managed to get it working for me.

However, now, the system is a lot noisier. Given that I'd bought the system to be as quiet as possible, this is obviously frustrating.

I've run scans with Everest Ultimate and also CPUID Hardware Monitor and these are the results:

Not really sure of the results but the GPU looks a little high - especially as I'm not running many programs.

The scans were run immediately one after the other and so they should give a good comparison.

xxxx

When I took the CPU out of the box, the thermal paste was already applied to the heatsink. I didn't clean the surface of the CPU with alcohol as suggested - it wasn't as if it was covered with dust. I just placed the heatsink on top and clipped it in.

The GPU is also making a lot of noise too. In fact I think the GPU is probably as much, if not more, causing most of the noise.

Also, I'm convinced the PSU is noisier than it was when I first had it running. It should be almost silent but it isn't. Perhaps the overall heat inside the case is causing it to work faster?? This is odd though because a 600W PSU should be easily enough to handle the above spec - even if it has to work harder.

Aftermarket cooler.
See the attached pic. I know the cabling isn't ideal but there were so many cables, I did the best I could.
Maybe reclean the CPU and regrease it.
Improve the airflow slightly.
There are two more fans in the system but I don't have them connected because I wanted to reduce the noise. I don't think by connecting them that it will make any difference.

So, if there's anything anyone can suggest that'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited: 09/22/2010 at 10:18 AM by thenomadsoul
 09/27/2010 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Bulit
Lurker

Yeah, and I never solved my problem. And it seems to be getting worse. My temps are at 47 degrees Celsius! I doubt buying another cpu fan will fix anything.
And what's worse in my case is that I don't even have a gpu!
 09/29/2010 12:36 PM

Author Icon
thenomadsoul
Lurker

I managed to reduce the CPU fan noise (from 3300rpm to 2100rpm) by enabling one of the options in the BIOS - perhaps there's something similiar for your mobo.

BTW, the temps you're reporting are different to what that Everest scan says...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information