Increase font size
Topic Title: Is my CPU gonna burn out?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/12/2004 02:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/12/2004 02:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
FCA

First, my specs are:

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2500+ with 512k cashe
RAM: 512 MB PC 3200 DDR400
HDD: W.D 40GB 7200RPM (8 MB)
MB: ASUS (X Series) A7V8X-X
VIDEO: ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
DRIVERS: CATALYST 3.9 / Direct x 9.0b
PS: 400 Watt dual fan.

Everything is installed properly. I installed an aluminum case, installed a new cpu fan/heat sink, and installed 2 case fans (one facing towards the MB, the other beside the HDD). I thought this would help, but my PC just dropped like 10 degrees after all this. My computer idle is about 60 degrees, while im using it its 65-67, and while i'm playing a full 3D game it goes 73-75. I just want my pc around 60 while playing a game. Will 75 fry my CPU? I hope not.. Is there anything else I should buy that will help? If I take off the side panel..my CPU temp is 53 degrees max while playing a 3D game. I would like my computer that temp with the side panel on (its noisy with it off). Thanks for the help and the replys in advanced!

01/12/2004 03:07 PM

Author Icon
Falcon16

Your case temperatures are extremely high (assuming the readings are accurate). I have often seen 20 degree temperature splits between the motherboard and the CPU, but when your running a motherboard temp of 45 you're in trouble.

Sounds to me like you are not getting cool (room temperature) air into your case.

Without knowing exactly how your fans are installed, I would put an intake fan on the front of the case (a fan that draws cool air into the computer) and an exhaust fan back near the CPU (pushes the hot air out of the computer). Fans are designed that they can be flipped, depending on whether you want it to be an intake or exhaust fan.

If you have room to add more fans, then I would do that, in the same ratio. Generally, the front of the computer provides access to "cool" room temperature air, so that's the best source of intake air. If your fans are set up such that you are drawing air in from the back of the computer, you may well be drawing in warm air
 01/12/2004 03:26 PM

Author Icon
avalanchez71

The case temp MUST be lowered.

Some cases have two exhaust fans in the back, but nowhere for them to pull fresh air in. If you case is like that, swap a fan around, top one blows out, bottom one blows in.

If you have a desk with your tower enclosed...that's the culprit. Take the front door off (that's what I did), it will help.

In any case, be sure your fans can pull cool air in somewhere!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information