AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Startup Problem, Cracked chip? Can cracks be seen?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/13/2004 10:18 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/13/2004 10:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
zulu

My mobo's power LED is on when system power is on but nothing else happens when I press my on/off button, the fan does not start, no visual not a sound. Is this a processor problem?
When I installed the fan I had not found AMD's wonderfull Adobe installation guide. With this lack of instruction I think I may have made a rather large mistake. I put the fan in by hooking one set of clips with the chip at an angle then folding it over untill flat, I did not apply much pressure to the chip but it may have been to much.
Does my computer not starting at all seem like a symptom of a cracked/damaged chip? Can you see cracks in chips or are they to minute to see.
The fan is facing the correct way.
Thanks for your time,
Jaxon
 01/13/2004 10:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Java
Elite

That is certainly a possibility, but it is not the first thing I would assume.

Try pulling memory and see if you get error beeps (you should). If not, you may have a bad board.

If you get error beeps when memory is removed, put it back in, reseat video, reset bios (pull batter for about 20 seconds) and then try again.

-------------------------
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Java
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

System 1: A64 X2 4800 | A8N SLI Del. | 6800GT | TT Tsunami | WD 80GB HD | Plextor DVD R/W | 1GB Corsair Pro, 1GB Crucial Balistix<br>System 2 (Wife's): A64 460
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information