AMD Processors
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: System not booting when I unplugged it?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/04/2004 05:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/04/2004 05:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
KristofRennen

Hi,

I recently bought a new CPU / MoBo and the installation went fine.

We are used to unplug our computer at night because of safety precautions.
But now I have a very annoying problem:

When my MoBo is configured at the Fail-Safe Defaults so my CPU only runs at 1.3Ghz then the booting goes fine, but when I alter my FSB to 166Mhz so my CPU runs at the proper 3000+ then there is a problem.

When I unplug the computer for a while and then plug it in again, it won't boot at the 3000+ settings. The LED's are all lightened, I hear the cooler, but I get a "no signal" message on my monitor and the system won't boot. Thus it is impossible for me to check which error has occurred.
But when I shutdown the computer then (by holding the power-button for almost 4 seconds) and I turn it on again, it boots normally

I already checked by many vendors, but none of them had ever heard about this problem and the most stupid answer was: "Sir, some cars do start from the first time, and other don't, sorry we can't help you"

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks
 07/04/2004 05:04 AM

Author Icon
SpeedTek

system specs please, including motherboard make and model.

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of AMD or any of their affiliates.<br><span *****

07/04/2004 05:21 AM

Author Icon
-Milt-

Hi KristofRennen, and Welcome to the AMD Forum!

Sounds to me like your CMOS battery is not supplying enough juice to keep your '166' CMOS setting when you unplug the confuser.
The CMOS voltage is automatically maintained by the +5.0 volt Standby rail of the ATX PSU, as long as it's plugged in..
The CMOS battery is only needed if you want to transport your comp to a different location, say for a LAN party, or if there is a power outage in your home.
When you plug it back in, the 5.0 volt standby voltage from your ATX power supply may be giving just enough to 'regenerate' those settings on the second boot.

CMOS batterys are cheap, ($3 ~ $5) and easy to replace... so I'd try replacing that first.
Or leave the damm thing plugged in.

-------------------------
Here is my new PCChips M848A' ">http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2_T-2-3-3-6-2_M848.jpg v2.1, with a 1700+ @ 2411 MHz, and my trusty old PCChips M810L' ">http://members.lycos.co.uk/mmm...00MHz_Sandra_tests.jpg v7.1A, with a Barton 2500+ @ over 3500+. Some of my fancy cars are on this pag
 07/04/2004 05:29 AM

Author Icon
KristofRennen

MoBo: Epox 8KRAI 333Mhz
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3000+
RAM: Apacer 512 DDR 400Mhz
Case: AOpen QF50A

Yeah, but could the battery already be broken (is just a new MoBo and I only have it for a week or so)? And why does it work then with the lower settings? Do they require less power?
 07/04/2004 05:59 AM

Author Icon
parsifal

humm, is your CPU FSB select jumper JCK1 set to pins 2-3 and the JCK2 also set to pins 2-3? And the JCMOS jumper, is it set to Normal (pins 1-2)?
 07/05/2004 05:43 PM

Author Icon
Unmutual

I had a brand new mobo(ECS k7s5a or something) that also required a new battery. It holds the BIOS settings now. You can find the coin batteries locally too(if you have a PC shop nearby).

You can underclock a Proc just as easily as overclocking it. You don't have the heat issues of overclocking, but my guess is stability issues may arise.
 07/06/2004 05:15 AM

Author Icon
KristofRennen

Everybody thx for the help, I will try it all and I hope the problem will be fixed then
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information