Increase font size
Topic Title: Asus A7N8X Deluxe & 3000+ upgrade
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/19/2004 03:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/19/2004 03:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pcm

I have a Asus A7N8X Deluxe V1.04 that had 2x256MB of Corsair Platinum DDR400 memory and a Athlon XP 2400+ and it worked flawlessly for over a year. Recently,
I bought a 3000+ Retail and a 512 MB Corair stick to upgrade. I had some blue screens after install, so I pulled the new memory and then updated the BIOS to 1008 (from
1001g) and installed the Nvidia 1.16 drivers from their site. I set the BIOS for 166 FSB and memory to Auto (which it says 166 at boot up).

Now the system works OK, but I see two odd things. First, at boot-up, I see the BIOS
startup and then I see a (very) dim screen with the XP logo. After 15 seconds, this
screen goes to normal intensity and I see the blue blocks going across the rectangle
and the system boots up fine.

Second, once and a while, the display and mouse freeze for about 10-15 seconds and then everything is normal. It happens every once and a while.

I contacted ASUS and they told me to set the CPU freq to 166 (it was already), go to user defined and set memory to 100%. Then they sent me to the Nvidia site and had me install motherboard drivers (it says nforce_udp_winxp_3.13 on the file name).

After I did that, it booted quicker, with just a few second pause on the splash screen (where the blue blocks paused). But, once up and running, the system freezes for 10-20 seconds EVERY 2 minutes

so, I reinstalled the 1.16 drivers that I got from the ASUS site and I'm back to a
minor pause every once and a while.

Looking for any advice from people that have this motherboard/CPU combo.

Also, when I go to install the 512 MB DIMM, what should be the ordering of the three
DIMMs, since I have a 256 MB, 256 MB, and 512 MB DIMM? I'm confused as to how to do this & get the best dual channel performance.

Thanks in advance!
 11/19/2004 04:34 PM

Author Icon
fastedie

Its not a good Ideal too mix diff mem you should use the one or two of the same timings not two of one kind and one diff. You want more mem speed get a 1024x2 or 512x2 or 256x2 but not what you are trying to do. I have a plan a7n8x rev2.0
and it wont boot unless you hit reset a couple of times. The usb freezes every time I use it with my actlabs wheel. the mouse stops sometimes for a few min.
I have contacted asus and still waiting to hear from them. I have all the new drivers and the bios is flashed to 1010b. I am disapponted with it right now.
the cpu is great it is a 2500 oc to 3200 I wish I would of went with a moble 2500
as they run a litte cooler.this one Idels at 32C so I cant conplain. 43C under load.
thats with a thermaltake silent boost hsf as5. it tryed to run hot on me but I saw the problem and fixed it.

-------------------------
DFI NF4 Ultra D
AMD FX60 @ 2889.5 GHz
6800 geforce 256
 11/20/2004 12:03 PM

Author Icon
pcm

right now, I don't have the new memory installed, I'm running with 2 256 MB sticks. With BIOS at 1008 and using the V1.16 nVidia drivers from ASUS, my system seems to be working OK, except that once per session I see a 10-15 sec freeze and then things are fine. It usually happens shortly after I boot and log in.

ASUS support suggested a newer version of motherboard drivers, but that caused my system to freeze every 2 mins, for 10-15 seconds! I reinstalled the drivers from their web site.

I'm wondering if there is some BIOS setting incorrect?

Does anyone know the "right" ordering for DIMM placement on this motherboard? IOW. If I have 2 256 MB DIMMs do I place them in slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 3 (the two blue slots)?

If I want to add a 512 MB DIMM, what should be the placement? Note all three are the same brand and type, just that one is higher density.

Thanks in advance.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information