Increase font size
Topic Title: Yet another Athlon user with Stability issues
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/23/2004 03:09 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/23/2004 03:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
alpurl

My wife and I play an online Roleplaying game called Everquest. I'm sure some of you have heard of it, and may even play it. It is the only intensive task that our computers perform, and is the ONLY time we have stability issues on the Athlon machine.

We bought this machine second hand from Ebay with 640MB ram, unknown brand and model.

Processor is Athlon XP 2000+.
Mobo is Abit KG7 Raid
4 256 MB sticks of unknown brand and model ram.
Vid Card is nVidia GeForce2MX (might be mx400)
Sound Blaster SBPCI512 Sound Card
noname NIC (supposedly uses one of the RealTek Chips tho)
ThermalTake Volcano 7 hsf
Drives not mentioned as they're believed to be of no consequence.

When we set the SoftMenu III bios set up, it's set up as 2000+ (133), which is exactly what the processor is. Settings show 13x multiplier, cpu base of 133 (ddr makes it 266), and vcore at 1.75, this is the correct voltage for our processor (palomino core IIRC). I actually, at one point in time, pulled the whole kit'n'kaboodle to look up the #'s on the processor.

The 133 base * the 13x multiplier = 1729 mhz, I know this is overclocking the processor (mildly). Setting it to 1600+ (100) allows the system to run stable, but reports processor as 1248 mhz or so and shows a mult of around 12.5 and base of 100. Obviously NOT using the cpu's potential.

When sitting in the bios set up for 20 minutes (obviously cpu is idle), temperature reported by bios is 56C or so. Am I correct in assuming that since the theoretically ideal settings are apparently over-clocking the chip, that while in game, the cpu is overheating, thus causing the instability issues with the game?

We had to replace a failing hard drive recently, and had to reset the bios cause my wife munged around with the settings. I seem to remember that after we got this machine, I had manually set the multiplier at 13, and the base at 128 to get near the actual 1667 MHz of the cpu. Don't seem to recall any issues with those settings, so I just set them back.

Am I missing anything else?

-------------------------
BioStar TA790GX A2+ AM2
8 GB OCZ Fatal1ty DDR2 800
ATI Radeon HD3870
PhenomII x4 940
 05/23/2004 03:31 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SDA

If it fails while overclocked, that doesn't necessarily mean it's a heat issue. It could also just be, well, that it doesn't like running at those frequencies. (Happens when you overclock "too far". Palominos never had much overclocking headroom.) Normally I'd recommend bumping the voltage up a notch, but your temps are pretty borderline as it is.

Well, first things first. What happens if you select a 12.5x multiplier on that board? With a KG7 or similar board, it's definitely best to have a standard FSB (multiple of 33.3333...MHz) and the normal multiplier rather than a "weird" FSB with a higher multiplier. (Better for performance, as well, but in this case it won't matter all that much.)

Secondly, how hot does the base of the Volcano 7 feel in operation? That's not a bad heatsink, and it should be keeping temps lower than that, so either the sensor's misreading or the thermal goop is of poor quality.

-------------------------
DEC Pentium X2 5200+ w/ HyperCache (Ezra core)
Asus M7NCD-MAX3 (OPTi Vendetta 82C760)
6x Generic 32MB PC2700 RDRAM (50ns SIMMs)
2x nVidia Millennium X1800 Duo (SLI mode)
12x (daisy-chained) Quantum Medalist 180GXP (w/ separate SCSI-1 adapter)

"Oh, you started a Rube Goldberg machine. A Rube Goldberg machine... called JUSTICE." <a href='http://www.boomspeed.com/old_camper/amdforumsircchat.ht
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information