Increase font size
Topic Title: Need Advice on which CPU for a ABIT KG7-Raid Mobo
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/11/2004 02:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/11/2004 02:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
*~§EEK~*

I apologize for Re-posting my question again!
Unfortunately, I have not received any response(s) or assistance from anybody regarding my help question.

I would be extremely grateful for any help that anyone may have to offer.

Thankyou once again.

My original Post from September 11, 2004 is below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody know if my ABIT KG7-Raid Mobo will recognize either an Athlon XP 2400+, or the 2600+ CPUs?

The lastest BIOS update on ABIT's website for a KG7-Raid Mobo is "kg7ds" Compile Date: 3/06/2003.
Unfortunately, the above BIOS Update states nothing about added support for faster CPUs.

However, The BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 states that it supports: AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.
This BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 above is the only BIOS update with any information regarding added CPU support.

Are there any significant differences in CPU architecture in the later released 0.13 micron Thoroughbred cores after 2000+ that would prevent me from upgrading my current AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird processor to at least one of the Athlon XP 2400+ versions?

If I am able to upgrade the processor to an Athlon XP 2400+ which version should I purchase?

If I can not upgrade to a 2400+, then would I see much of a performance gain from only upgrading to an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU from my current CPU (An AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird CPU)?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you all may have!

PS. If I do not respond immediately, I have to work the night shift tonight & I should have crashed 2 hours ago, but you all know how time flies when your on the PC!

Thx..........
 09/24/2004 10:01 AM

Author Icon
prawn

I have the same set up as you - Thunderbird 1.4GHz in the ABIT KG7-RAID and I've been wanting to upgrade my CPU too.

The highest processor this board will take (which is guaranteed to work) is the Athlon XP 2100+.

The only reason for this is the BIOS doesn't have multiplier settings higher than 13, which are required for the 2200+ and above. Also, the default speed of the front side bus (FSB) is 133MHz (266MHz DDR), which means you can't use any processors needing a 166MHz (333MHz DDR) FSB or above.

However, I'm sure it's theoretically possible to use faster processors, but it means overclocking the FSB from it's default of 133 to 166. If you're not experienced with overclocking, I can't recommend this!

A friend of mine has an Athlon XP 2000+ and I must say there isn't much difference in performance. You do see a small improvement, but not a great deal. I would have to say increasing your RAM would have the about same effect.

I hope this clarifies things. I'll be happy to help if you have any more questions!
 09/24/2004 12:39 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator
Deployer of Mjölnir - House Keeping

QUOTE (*~§EEK~* @ Sep 11 2004, 10:57 AM) I apologize for Re-posting my question again!
Unfortunately, I have not received any response(s) or assistance from anybody regarding my help question.

I would be extremely grateful for any help that anyone may have to offer.

Thankyou once again.

My original Post from September 11, 2004 is below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anybody know if my ABIT KG7-Raid Mobo will recognize either an Athlon XP 2400+, or the 2600+ CPUs?

The lastest BIOS update on ABIT's website for a KG7-Raid Mobo is "kg7ds" Compile Date: 3/06/2003.
Unfortunately, the above BIOS Update states nothing about added support for faster CPUs.

However, The BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 states that it supports: AMD Athlon XP CPU, 0.18 micron process Palomino up to 2100+ and 0.13 micron process Thoroughbred up to 2000+.
This BIOS Update "kg78s" Compile date: 04/11/2002 above is the only BIOS update with any information regarding added CPU support.

Are there any significant differences in CPU architecture in the later released 0.13 micron Thoroughbred cores after 2000+ that would prevent me from upgrading my current AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird processor to at least one of the Athlon XP 2400+ versions?

If I am able to upgrade the processor to an Athlon XP 2400+ which version should I purchase?

If I can not upgrade to a 2400+, then would I see much of a performance gain from only upgrading to an Athlon XP 2000+ CPU from my current CPU (An AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird CPU)?

Thanks ahead of time for any help you all may have!

PS. If I do not respond immediately, I have to work the night shift tonight & I should have crashed 2 hours ago, but you all know how time flies when your on the PC!

Thx..........
Processor
- AMD Socket A Athlon (100/133MHz FSB) up to 1.4GHz
- AMD Socket A Duron (100MHz FSB) up to 1.3GHz
- AMD Socket A Athlon XP Palomino (0.18 micron process) up to 2100+
- AMD Socket A Athlon XP Thoroughbred (0.13 micron process) up to 2000+

In the ABIT forum
http://forum.abit-usa.com/show...hp?t...6&highlight=kg7' ">http://forum.abit-usa.com/show...id=58576&highlight=kg7

The person asking the same question as you is using a XP2400+....

Later

MD

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/03/2004 09:14 AM

Author Icon
*~§EEK~*

Prawn,
Thank you “Prawn” for your help. I am sincerely grateful.
I’ve been searching forever, all over the web for a reason (Besides a BIOS update from ABIT) why I couldn’t use one of the faster Athlon XPs having a FSB of (266MHz w DDR RAM) as some of the XP2400+ AMD CPUs have that I’ve been seeing. I find it very disappointing that we are unable to set the multiplier settings higher than 13 in the BIOS to take advantage of the faster CPUs available. I find it even more disappointing when I think of how late ABIT was in releasing the KG7 that had 4 Slots available for the then considered fast 266MHz DDR clock speeds just to find out that I won't be able to update the CPU.
You wouldn’t happen to know if a BIOS upgrade (perhaps released by ABIT sometime in the future) would remedy this multiplier settings limit or are we just ____out of luck? I figure there is probably no incentive for ABIT to do so, since more than likely they would prefer that you purchase one of their “New” motherboards.
I don’t know about you but I’ve been very impressed with the performance of my AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird CPU. It’s been a real workhorse of a CPU. Just to give you an idea of why I say this, here is my system specs:

· Motherboard - ABIT KG7-RAID
· Processor - AMD Athlon 1400+ Thunderbird
· PC Case - LIAN LI All-Aluminum Case - (5) fans - (2) in front that blow over 4 RAID Hard drive slots - (2) in back - (1) Blow Hole Fan on top.
· RAM – 256MB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM 266 MHz
· Power Supply - Antec TruePower 430 watt
· CPU Fan – Thermaltake – Volcano 7
· Sound Card - Sound Blaster - Audigy 2 - Platinum
· Video Card - ATI Radeon 9700 Pro (Dual monitor outputs - 128MB DDR RAM) (Using Dual 19” CRT monitors)
· DVD-ROM Drive - Sony - DVD (+)(-) R/RW Drive
· Hard Drives – (3) Western Digital, 8MB Cache, 128GB Hard drives – (1) Western Digital, 8MB Cache, 200GB Hard drive - & - (1) Western Digital, 8MB Cache, External USB 2.0 Hard drive
· Belkin USB 2.0 PCI Card
· Promise Ultra TX2 IDE PCI Controller – Had to use this back before WinXP SP1 came out and wouldn’t recognize the 200GB Hard drive
· Nic Card – Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
· Windows XP Pro – SP2

I think the most “Note worthy” portion out of all the components I have in my system is the miniscule 256MB of DDR RAM that I have been using! I know I most definitely need to install more RAM and I’m in the process of doing so at this time. I just couldn’t ever seem to save up enough money while I was in attending college to buy the $300 a pop (1 GB) DDR RAM Modules. Are choices being either (4) modules of (1GB) ECC DDR RAM or (2) modules of (1GB) Non-ECC RAM! Either way that's a lot of moola for a student! Anyway, my AMD Athlon 1400+ Thunderbird has not failed to run everything from ORACLE 8i <-- (A real Resource Hog) and the entire Microsoft Office 2000 Professional package all at the same time, and wide variety of High-end Audio & Video Editing software along with MS Office 2000 at other times etc.!!! Obviously, I had to go in and shut down unnecessary WinXP Pro “Services” to keep it all running smoothly, but this little processor has never crashed or slowed down to a crawl. Quite frankly it’s been an amazing CPU and has made me a real fan of AMD processors!

Prawn, Very kewl, I just went to the URL provided by MD later in this thread at: http://forum.abit-usa.com/show...hp?t...6&highlight=kg7' ">http://forum.abit-usa.com/show...id=58576&highlight=kg7
A forum member there named “Pablop” said that he has installed an XP2400+ in his ABIT KG7-Raid motherboard and he wrote:

Yes, the new processor is in and working. I did have to locate a better heat exchanger.

When the system first booted, it came up as a XP1500. I then set the bios to:

User Configured
Above 13x

Now it boots as a XP2000.

SIS Sandra reports an XP2400 running at 2000 mhz.

I did some stress testing thorugh Sandra and so far no problems.

So Prawn, I’ll probably post to the ABIT forum to make sure everything is still working properly using the XP2400+. However, I still would have preferred that ABIT release a BIOS update to recognize the XP2400+ automatically. But, I guess that’s a wait & see sort of thing right? Let me know if you are thinking about upgrading your CPU also. Maybe then we both could “Gitter Done” right!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MD
Thank you “MD” for the URL to the ABIT Forum!
Very cool of you! I see that the URL you provided to a ABIT Forum thread was dated 08-02-2004 thru 08-29-2004, which explains why I missed the last of that post. I was there to soon! (Back when “Pablop” was trying to decide between two motherboards he had available to choose from! Before the beginning of that post’s date (08-02 to 08-04) I could not locate a single thread concerning anybody using an XP2400+ in a KG7-Raid successfully & using the current ABIT released BIOS update. The reason I posted on this forum was to try to find out if anybody knew weather “there are any significant differences in CPU architecture in the later released 0.13 micron Thoroughbred cores after 2000+ that would prevent me from upgrading my current AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz Thunderbird processor to at least one of the Athlon XP 2400+ versions?”
Well MD, I guess it’s safe to assume from the ABIT Forum Post you provided that there aren’t any significant CPU architecture differences that I should be concerned about, only the BIOS issue!
Once Again Thanks MD & Prawn!!
 10/03/2004 09:18 AM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

NP

There isn't a very big difference between the 2 types of cpu's other than the Thoroughbred's will run cooler than the Palomino's...

Later

MD

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Physics? Ha! This is clearly magic and devilry at work. Prepare firewood! We have witches to burn!

10/06/2004 12:45 PM

Author Icon
prawn

Assuming that Pablop really did get the 2400 working, then I see no reason why the 2600 shouldn't work too!

OK I am no expert but I believe this may be the reason why:

If you set the multiplier to 'Above 13' then the BIOS looks for the correct multiplier setting in the CPU itself - it is set in the factory.

Our BIOS will only ever display the name as 'XP 2000+', but it will run at 2600 speed!

However, I also believe this will only work if the CPU is locked. This means you cannot change the multiplier - but we don't want to anyway - we want the BIOS to find the new default setting.

I am probably going to attempt the upgrade to 2400 in a few weeks - I can't find a suitable 2600 anywhere (in the UK). The only 2600 that will work has the model number AXDA2600DKV3C and I guess they are quite rare!

All of the XP 2400's should work - but not the new Semprons!

Of course, I might be wrong about all this....

You've got a great setup there, better than mine, but I agree you need more RAM!

I upgraded from 256MB to 768MB and got a nice performance boost. Not a lot, but noticable.
 10/06/2004 01:08 PM

Author Icon
MD - Moderator

A sempron is really a Thorton or Tbred-B that has a lower multiplier but a faster fsb...the sempron should work, but it will not work at the speeds you want.

You are correct about the multiplier being set at the factory, the bridges on top of the cpu are laser cut to set the multiplier.

As you have surmised, the bios will auto read the multiplier and set it accordingly, they have not added the higher name strings to the cpu lookup table and that will be a cosmetic error, not a cpu error...

Remember to reset you fsb speed after installing the new cpu, set to 133, as the board may "safe boot" with the fsb set to 100.

Cheers

MD

10/09/2004 05:31 PM

Author Icon
*~§EEK~*

MD & Prawn,
You Guys are Great ! You're both certainly extremely helpful!
Ya know, I sure hate the idea of upgrading a CPU without a proper & official, BIOS upgrade directly from the motherboard manufacturer.
However, it seems that ABIT is not very anxious to update the BIOS on a motherboard that they consider to be a "Discontinued Product".
That's unfortunate for many if not all of the KG7 owners looking to upgrade a still viable motherboard. I most definately will stop and think twice the next time, before purchasing another Motherboard from ABIT for my next AMD based PC I'm planning to build after all these new PC changes that are likely to see over the next year or so!
At the time that I purchased my ABIT KG-7-Raid motherboard the T-bird Athlon 1400+ processor I bought was the fastest processor availible and ABIT's documentation (The Manual) stated that it will support all future (100/200 MHz) & (133/266 MHz) DDR FSB speed Socket-A AMD Processors.
However, ABIT failed to mention in my KG7-Raid motherboard's manual that they would NOT be offering the necessary BIOS upgrades for the KG7 that one would definately need for the Mobo to properly recognize these "Future Socket-A" Processors" (Automatically In the BIOS, and not require the rediculous amount of questionable/manual and wide-range of unsual BIOS tweeks and modifing a brand "New" Chip, just to get it to function properly on the KG7 Mobo!!!!
So, just exactly what was ABIT referring to when they stated that "Future Socket-A AMD processors would be compatible?" Were they refering to the processors in which KG7 owners would be forced to cut their CPU's L3 bridges for compatibility and speed?
i.e. Interactive painting guide v2.3 for AMD Thoroughbred and AMD Barton CPUs?' ">http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.ht...ta/tbred_painting.html ??
Well, I'm not exacting keen on getting out the bionoculars or a high-powered microscope just to get the processor Unlocked to overclock to increase its speed! (And more than likely the CPU's Heat as well) And I understand the appeal and pleasure many peole get out of doing such things for performance reasons.
These bad boys (My own current CPU) already can be used as a space heater in a fairly large room, in the middle of winter, and with no modifications or overclocking performed at all!! LOL
That point aside, I'm sure there are many KG7 owners like me that are particularly keen at this time to upgrade their CPU's one final time (Which will more than likely be the last chance KG7 owners will have to benifit from the increased CPU speeds that are currently available, running at the proper FSB speeds before AMD will eventually stop manufacturing this line of processors and we all eventually retire our KG7's for the next best things coming out!
Ya know, I don't know if it's that I'm just overly tired but I just re-read this post and it sounds like I'm pissed! I'm really not! Perhaps I'm alittle more disappointed then usual in ABIT, but mostly I'm just tired from working to much (a 12 hour dayshift, followed by a 12 hour nightshift the very next night, and I still have one more 12 hour nightshift to go before I'll finally get a break to regroup. My feet hurt, my nose is runny (perhaps a start of a cold) and I need to go get a bite to eat and get some sleep! But I'm certainly not pissed!
However, I wanted to write (err Type) a quick messege to you both to let you know that I am still around and am doing some research on this topic, and I will eventually more than likely take a chance and attempt an upgrade of some sort, and then post my results "Here" for others to hopefully benifit from.
For now, I wish you all the best of luck, and I'll be back in contact in a week or so (going out of town) with some usefull (I hope) info, as well as my plans for upgrading and some Sisoft Sandra #'s to paruse after the upgrade. Unless something goes wrong! LOL
Prawn, I agree with you regarding the AMD Athlons 2600+ w the 266 Mhz FSB's that I have seen. I can't see why it would be any more difficult than the 2400+ upgrade CPU path we have discussed, and it sounds better to me than buying say a 2100+ Palamino and over-clocking the [content edited] out of it as I have read earlier today, or the option of using an AMD "Mobile" processors that I also read about that people are using and overclocking.
That doesn't interest me at this point in my life! I'm to [content edited] busy to tweak these things for hours. Just give me the speed from the get-go with the 2600+ CPU! I'll take the increased stability over small increases in overclocking speeds (or even large over-clocking speeds for that matter) any day of the week! If I need more speed then I buy a faster CPU from the get go! Especially since I tend to run a large number of resource intensive applications regularly.
Well, I'm off to bed! Cya --> MD and --> Prawn!
Thanks for all the help man!
Peace
*~§EEK~*
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information