Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon XP 3000+ Problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2004 07:13 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2004 07:13 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Goodfella

I have an Athlon XP 3000+ CPU which worked fine on my system, specs as follows...

Asrock K7VT4-4x motherboard.
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro
1024 GB crucial ram (mixed - one stick is DDR 333Mhz the other is DDR 400Mhz)
PSU is 350w (can't see much info on it)
CPU is correctly set at 166Mhz FSB and 13.0 multiplier. Post displays correct speed of 2167 Mhz .

Everything was fine until I recently fitted a new motherboard (an Abit NF7-S), what happens now is that as soon as boot-up reaches the Welcome screen the PC restarts itself. If I underclock the CPU to 133Mhz FSB everything works fine, no restarts, everything is stable, even Far Cry runs silky smoothe at maximum settings at 1280x768 !!

I don't think it's a temperature issue, the CPU hovers around the 50c area, heatsink is correctly placed with a small amount of thermal paste on the die. And there is a system fan facing the CPU.

I ran a burn-in stress test and all my hardware passed OK, all that I can conclude is it may be a PSU problem.

Any help is very much appreciated.
 07/06/2004 07:50 AM

Author Icon
Greyhound

Hmmm...make sure your 'FSB/DRAM' ratio is set to '3/3' or '4/4' in BIOS - you might want to use relaxed timings, too(goto the 'Advanced Chipset Features'-menu, set 'Memory-timings to 'expert', then set timings to 7-3-3-3).

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 07/06/2004 08:25 AM

Author Icon
Goodfella

Thanks for the reply, I did what you suggested and unfortunatley the same problem occurs. I've tried using one memory stick at a time all in different slots aswell so I don't think the RAM is a related problem.

Is there any other information you require that may help ?

PS, is it possible the CPU is damaged in any way, or would it just not work at all if it was damaged ?
 07/06/2004 10:55 AM

Author Icon
snithead88

if the cpu is damaged the pc will turn on but nothing will start to load itl just set there at a black screen. if your pc allows you to enter the BIOS i dont think the cpu is bad

Free Sigs, Ask. AM3 Score
 07/06/2004 11:41 AM

Author Icon
Goodfella

As I said everything works fine when underclocked so the CPU cannot be damaged then.

This is really annoying me, I have even bought a new PC case with 450w PSU in the vain hope it would solve the problem but it hasn't !!

I really don't understand this, I am beginning to think my CPU isn't a 3000+ at all. I have checked these forums and google for ages and nothing has solved this problem.

Is there anyway of actually identifying my CPU to see what it really is, it doesn't say on the chip itself. (it's OEM)
 07/06/2004 12:26 PM

Author Icon
Greyhound

QUOTE Is there anyway of actually identifying my CPU to see what it really is, it doesn't say on the chip itself. (it's OEM)
There is a black label attached to the processor itself with all relevant info printed on it, especially the processors' OPN(Ordering Part Number) - you will have to remove your heatsink to read it.
You processors' OPN should be 'AXDA3000DKV4D'.
Most likely, this is NOT a processor-related issue...especially since you said it worked normally with your old motherboard.

While on the topic of changing motherboards, did you reformat your HDD and reinstall windows after you changed your motherboard?
The Asrock K7VT4-4x has the VIA KT400-chipset while the Abit NF7-S has the NVidia NForce2 chipset - it is fairly common for a windows-install to cease working properly after a major platform-change...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

<center><font color=red>MODERATOR</center></font>

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 89W :: Asus M2N32SLI Deluxe :: 2x1024MB Muskin XP2-6400 DDR2-800 :: BeQuiet! Darkpower Pro 530W :: 2x WD Raptor 74GB/10k rpm, RAID 0 :: ATI Radeon X1950XTX
 07/06/2004 12:55 PM

Author Icon
Goodfella

As it happens I 'had' to reformat and re-install Windows anyway as the PC wouldn't boot with the new motherboard.

It worked ok for a while (a day or two) with the new mobo but then I started getting restarts and BSOD's. Underclocking the CPU has been the only solution so far.

I still think it's wierd how the Asrock mobo let me clock it at 3000+ and this new Abit mobo did at first, but doesn't now !!

EDIT: Sorry I forgot to mention in my original post that the new Abit mobo worked OK for a day or two with the 'apparently' correct CPU speed, then I started getting restarts and BSOD's.
 07/06/2004 02:56 PM

Author Icon
Goodfella

Is it possible my CPU isn't a 3000+ (maybe it is a 2200+ as that is what the Asrock mobo detected the CPU as when I first installed it) and that the Asrock mobo allowed me to overclock it to a 3000+.

Could my new Abit mobo be protecting my PC/CPU from setting it to 3000+ ?

I just get the feeling this isn't actually a 3000+ CPU at all !!

The CPU is clearly locked at 13.0 multiplier, changing the multiplier in the BIOS has no effect, I can only change the FSB.
 07/06/2004 03:29 PM

Author Icon
lordmozilla

well as someone said if you dont think it's a 3000+ you need to check the actual CPU by removing the heatsink. It should say the speed there or at least have a big reference number that some guys heer will surely be able to decode for you...
 07/06/2004 03:49 PM

Author Icon
Goodfella

OK thanks, I'll have to take a look at the CPU tomorrow as I have to go out, I'll come back with what it says tomorrow.
 07/06/2004 03:55 PM

Author Icon
bvchurch

Strange perdicament

First off, there is nothing wrong with the CPU, Case/Power, Vid card. There could be something with memory, but i doubt it. My thoughts lead towards the board.

Have you gotten the newest bios, does that board support processors that are Athlon XP 3000+ and/or a barton core. I know with my gigabyte that it didnt support processors above 2800+ and those with barton cores until a new Bios revision came out. Thats my best guess. Your processor could be a barton processor, or its also possible that the bios currently on there jsut doesnt support processors lets say above 2800+.

Oh yeah tip for all: if you are about ready to change Motherboards, make sure to go into the system, device manager in WinXP. THen for the IDE/ATAPI controller, aka the Hard Drive Controller, change that from the chipset company drivers to the windows standard drivers. I think PCstats.com did a story on it, ill look for the article on it.
 07/07/2004 02:57 AM

Author Icon
Goodfella

Yes it is strange. I checked the CPU and it says what greyhound said - AXDA3000DKV4D - so the CPU is fine.

bvchurch, now you mention the motherboard that's where my suspicions lie aswell but the BIOS doesn't need updating as it is the latest revision 2.0

Here is my Motherboard' ">http://www.a1-electronics.net/...0/Abit_NF7-S-2.0.shtml

What worries me now though is I switched my PC on this morning and I got a BIOS Rom Checksum Error, then the PC locked up. On entering the BIOS I found it had reset itself to default settings, I altered them accordingly and then the PC worked fine again, what does this all mean ? Faulty mobo by any chance ?
 07/07/2004 03:26 AM

Author Icon
Bitey
Elite

Wild stab in the dark, try disabling fast writes in the bios.

Also try your bios timings on failsafe...etc

07/07/2004 05:23 AM

Author Icon
Goodfella

Well it turns out that the RAM was causing the problem afterall. !!

I put the DDR 333Mhz stick in slot 1 on it's own and now the PC works fine with my CPU set to 3000+.

I put the DDR 400Mhz stick in slot 1 on it's own and this resulted in one long beep from the mobo and the PC refused to boot.

Before this I had the 400 stick in slot 1 and the 333 stick in slot 3 (for dual channel to be enabled) and my PC found the full 1024 mb of RAM, but it doesn't find the full amount of RAM in any other slot configuration. It only finds the 333mhz stick of RAM. !!!

Is the 400mhz stick damaged or have I not configured the Ram correctly ? As it is wierd that the 400 ram only works if I lower the FSB to 133mhz !
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information