Increase font size
Topic Title: Athlon II X4 640 ODD TEMPERATURE READINGS
Topic Summary: CPU SEEMS TO BE IN HIGH TEMPERATURES
Created On: 07/28/2011 03:49 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/28/2011 03:49 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
azuniga
Lurker

Hi there.

I need some help with a brand new CPU recently installed, the Athlon II x4 640 Propus.

The thing is it was installed with the stock fan and the stock thermal paste, everything worked just fine, and all the temperature readings from different software and Bios was very low in iddle... from 20`s to 30s degrees Celcius, in a case with 4 fans installed, one in the front, two in the side panel, one in the rear side like exhaust...

When using some stress testing every core was like 50 - 52 degrees... it seemed very good....

Well... in the next three days the software core temp.. started to rate the temperatures of every core in iddle in 50 - 52 degrees... and if some heavy program was launched it started to say that was overheating...

So I checked in the Bios and the temperature was in 36 - 37 - 38 - 40 -42 degrees---
But in the windows desktop with LAvalys and Core Temp the temperature was 50....

I installed some program called HWINFO 64 BITS... and it has some page called SENSORS... in the first item it has the ¨AMD K10+CPU THERMAL SENSOR¨, and here the temperature is in 50s.. degrees... if you do some strees test... it goes through 60s, 70s, 80s.....

But in the next items or section of the readings... it has some ¨ITE... like the sensor name, I think... and here the temperature is the same as the Bios temperature... 30s... and in the stress test... it goes through 40s, 50s and finally to 61 degrees...

So, I want some advice from YOU with this odd readings.. or problem.. because the CPU have only a few days since it was installed with everything new...

The motherboard is Asus M4N68T M LE V2.
No overclock is done... is in manual 200 MHz x 15 = 3 GHz
Ram is two modules 2gb DDR3 1333 Kingston manually set at 667 in the bios..
Vcore of the CPU is 1.35v.
Cool n Quiet installed the new version from AMD.

Thank you very much with this strange situation...

Is the first AMD CPu in my builds that I find something odd or strange...
 07/28/2011 09:19 PM

Author Icon
bjaday

how much and how did you apply the thermal paste?
too much is as bad, if not worse, than too little.
download these programs-HWMonitor and Core Temp these are what we use, they are good.
another thing could be the way you have the fans setup.
3 intake and only 1 exhaust?
you are putting too much air in the case.
since there is more air being put into the case than exhausted, the air is just circulating around getting hot.

let me know about the tremal paste.
take the side off your case and check the temps.
 07/29/2011 01:34 AM

Author Icon
azuniga
Lurker

Well the paste was not touched... is the original that cames from every new cpu... is in the heatsink... so I think this is not the problem...

The other thing you say about the air flow... or the quantity of air as intake... I don´t think is that bad... you know... so many people just have one exhaust.. and the temperatures are ¨ragular¨ normal... Me, for assuring everything is cooler inside had always installed more intake fans... and never had problems.. at all!

So well. the thing is there are different readings from the different software I used... for example.. the Fan Xpert from Asus report 30s degrees... Core Temp 60s... Lavalys 60s and this one HWINFO 60s and 30s also in the same software... but the computer dont have shutdowns or unstability.. is just that it don´t look well for me to have this high readings...

You touch with your fingers the heatsink... and is almost cold....
You shutdown the computer... quit the heatsink and touch the very CPU and is almost cold..... jaja..
So. What can be the problem???

Can this be a problem with the thermal sensors from the cpu...?!
What do you think?
Thank you people..
 07/29/2011 06:45 AM

Author Icon
bjaday

did you clear the cmos when you installed the new CPU?
did the MB manufacturer require a bios update to support the CPU?

it might help if you list you system specs, so we have an idea on what we are working with.

i have to say you are wrong about the fan setup.
i have been building custom systems for over 10 years, so i know a great deal about airflow/cfm and static pressure, i dont mean just putting them together-making the cases myself.
 08/03/2011 09:05 PM

Author Icon
azuniga
Lurker

No. It was an all new system...
Mobo Asus M4N68 T LE V2 with the new BIOS, 2x2GB DDR3 1333 Kingston, AMD`s stock Cooler-Heatsink, Mustiff 550W Dual PSU, 1x HDD of 1 TB from Seagate, 1 DVD+-RW---

The case has two 90 mm fans in the side panel, one 120mm in the front, one 120mm in the exhaust.

The computer is working since two weeks already, it seems nothing is wrong with the performance with windows and every program launched at it, only gaming is not tested already because the customer does not have GPU now... maybe after some time...

What is your BEST recomendation with the airflow in a medium case...?
Thank you very much your time and ideas...
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information