Increase font size
Topic Title: Overheating problem?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/06/2004 10:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/06/2004 10:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xfactor

Hey guys, I'm having a problem with my home computer. Whenever I play graphic intense games the computer doesn't usually respond well. Here's an overview.

Most graphic intense games tend to crash the system. Counter-Strike is about the only game that doesn't kill the computer. Day of Defeat does it the most often, Command and Conquer Generals, Warcraft 3, Far Cry, etc. etc. Pretty much every game I own seems to crash the computer.

Here's what the computer does when it 'crashes': In order I can hear.

Screen locks, fans turn off, hard drives turn off, then the system goes black. It's not a restart, it actually turns off.

Everyday processes don't affect it, winamp, mirc, web browsing. It only happens when I'm gaming.

System specs:

Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD XP 2800+
1 gig ram
1 WD 120gb hd
1 Maxtor 40gb
1 WD 40 gb
eVGA GF4 FX 5700LE 256mb
network card

no other pci cards.

450watt PSU.

I've upgrading all my drivers, everything is current. I've got two 80mm fans in the case right now. Do you guys think it could be a cpu overheating problem? I'm totally stumped.. Please help. If you need more info let me know.

Thanks
 07/06/2004 10:10 PM

Author Icon
Franco-Tirador

I play most of the games you listed there but i dont crash, my game justs quits to desktop(especialy cs and dod) for some reason...my idle temps are 55c' and underload 64c'

what are your temps btw?
 07/06/2004 10:13 PM

Author Icon
parsifal

Please, post the PSU wattage and rails amperage specs (you can find the info in PSU's label)
 07/06/2004 10:15 PM

Author Icon
xfactor

Ok, I'm at work now, when I get home. I'll get those numbers to you.

Thanks for the quick responses.
 07/06/2004 11:48 PM

Author Icon
xfactor

Hmmm, well ok. I don't really know what numbers you're looking for. So here. This is the easiest solution.

07/07/2004 12:36 AM

Author Icon
-Milt-

xfactor,

Your PSU numbers look good, if they are for real, but that is a kinda 'no-name' or generic PSU. Still, you should be fine there.

This sounds like your CPU (or some other component inside your case) is getting too hot, after a period of intense use. (game playing qualifies, perfectly)
The next time it 'crashes' on you, when you reboot go straight into your CMOS to your 'Hardware Monitor' page and check your CPU and System temperatures.

You could try pulling one side off of your case, and set up a small desk fan blowing cool air directly into the box.
See if that helps.
If it does, then you'll KNOW that it's a heat problem, and now it's just a question of 'Which component?'
This is the 'quick & cheap & dirty way' to find out if something is getting too hot.
But it WORKS like a charm!

-------------------------
Here is my new PCChips M848A' ">http://img.photobucket.com/alb...2_T-2-3-3-6-2_M848.jpg v2.1, with a 1700+ @ 2411 MHz, and my trusty old PCChips M810L' ">http://members.lycos.co.uk/mmm...00MHz_Sandra_tests.jpg v7.1A, with a Barton 2500+ @ over 3500+. Some of my fancy cars are on this pag
 07/07/2004 01:09 AM

Author Icon
xfactor

Thanks for the input. I'll be sure to try everything you said!

Thanks!
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information