Increase font size
Topic Title: CPU lag! I think
Topic Summary:
Created On: 06/13/2004 06:50 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/13/2004 06:50 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ffxdrummer89

Im having a problem with CPU lag, really bad when I'm playing games I.E. Counterstrike, also just using apps on XP . This problem could be with over heating cause usually the tempature is about 67 C and its this bad with two external fans. This a 1800+ and I wanted to know what can i do two fix this LAG. thank you
 06/13/2004 08:32 PM

Author Icon
action man

what are the rest of your components? lag can be cause by many, many things
on the hardware side you have temps as you mentioned, power supply, ram, overheating northbridge ( i know that falls under temps but it get overlooked sometimes), even a slow or failing harddrive...
on the software side you have: pop-ups, spyware, adware, viruses, corrupted files etc.

first thing i would do is update my virus checker (i assume you do have a virus scanner?) if that checks all clear download ad-aware' ">http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=506 and spy bot search and destroy' ">http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2471.html. both are free to download and use.

then you need to start looking at hardware.. first off when it "lags" what is the computer doing? is the hard drive busy? is cpu usage shooting to 100%? what are your temps? if the hard drive seems to be having a fit and you have scanned for viruses spybbots and ad-aware with no results then it may be a sign your hdd needs a defrag.. when was the last time you defragged it? or it may be failing. download and run HD-tach' ">http://www.majorgeeks.com/download672.html if your hdd data rate is low thats another sign the lags are hdd related.. how full is the hdd? is it almost full right up?

if its cause by cpu usage hitting the roof then you may still have unwanted spyware etc running. check ad/remove programs and get rid of any suspicious items a fresh install should have no more than 7-8 items (again depends on your system) and any programs you have installed will be easily recognisable. if you arent sure about a program post it here and im sure someone will be able to tell you if its kosher or not.

to check your temps and voltages you can use mbm 5.3.6.0 ' ">http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311 another useful app... you will need to configure to read the right sensors but with a little trial and error and a little common sense its easy enough. cpu temp for an 1800+ with stock hsf shouldnt go above 60 at the tops and voltage rails shouldnt be down by more than 5% especially the 12v and 3.3v.

anyway post back if you have any problems or questions

-------------------------
The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or that you feel good this morning; or that it is a morning to be good on?
 06/14/2004 01:03 AM

Author Icon
konfuzd

If it's truely the processor getting bogged down durring games, the game should feel like time isn't ticking at a constant pace (the game litterly slows down and may become irregular). Especially durring explosions or other things that use lots of particles. Also, if you're doing multiplayer games when this happens, watch for other people complaining about lag. One slow comp on a server causes the worst kind of lag. Here, it's most likely your graphics card. This would cause the framerate to drop, the game to continue at the same pace, and you getting killed by someone you never had the chance to see.

With the ordinary apps slowing down, that's probably being caused by fragmented clutter on your hard drive. One very good and easy way to fix this is putting the My Documents folder on another partition.

As far as overheating goes, that only causes the processor to need more power and potentially cause wierd errors.

-------------------------
If all else fails, hit it harder.
 06/14/2004 09:37 AM

Author Icon
ffxdrummer89

Well im totality spyware free and virus free. The thing is what i notice is that my CPU usage is about 50% when playing and game and it can be even lower then 50%. When is spikes its 100% for about 1 sec.
 06/14/2004 09:44 AM

Author Icon
ffxdrummer89

my tempatures were 70 when not playing a game and 75 when playing a game. Also my system was at 60 and playing a game it was at 65. Then is with out my case being on by the way. so its hotter with it closed and put away in the comp table.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information