Increase font size
Topic Title: Problems with new Athlon II based build
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/28/2011 10:35 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/28/2011 10:35 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
a.jenery
Lurker

Very recently I put together a new systems build based around an Athlon II x2 and socket AM3 m'board, etc, etc. All compoents are compatible, I double-checked and tripple-checked everything.

My problem is I'm having huge problems trying to install Windows-7 and basically the m'board manufacturer Asus, is suggesting that I should clear the CMOS by using the jumper and after that go into the BIOS and load optimised defaults. As far as I'm aware, clearing the BIOS only clears the RTC of date, time, etc - so I don't really understand how that would help (clearing the CMOS), and I'm also not too sure if loading optimised defaults would make a difference either, or would it? I guess I just need a second opinion..
 08/28/2011 03:15 PM

Author Icon
RBR
Case Modder

It very well may not be the answer to your problem, but I see no harm in at least trying it.

Clearing the CMOS on your motherboard will reset your BIOS settings to their factory defaults.

You might need to clear the CMOS for several reasons but usually you'll want to clear the CMOS to help troubleshoot or solve certain PC problems like hardware compatibility issues.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/...oblem/tp/clearcmos.htm

-------------------------
 08/28/2011 11:27 PM

Author Icon
a.jenery
Lurker

OK, many thanks... So is this what one should do; clear the CMOS before first bootup to select factory defaults? BTW - is factory default the same as optimised defaults but just worded differently? He, he

Anyway, below is the entire list of suggestions that Asus gave me and subsequent questions that I sent back.

Suggestions from Asus technical support:

In this situation, please clear the cmos to load default settings and try again.

If it is not helpful, maybe you could download the latest version of BIOS from the following website for a try:
http://support.asus.com/Downlo...2-ASUS-0902.zip

Due to the nature of BIOS update, there is certain level of dangers involved. BIOS update must be performed with extreme caution . During BIOS update process, your system must be maintained without interference or power loss to prevent unexpected damage.

If the problem still exists, I suggest you to take the motherboard out of case and keep the necessary components(a CPU, a memory, a video card, a HDD, an ODD) onboard to reinstall a new clear OS for a test.

If it doesn't work, please change another cable and try again.

If no effort, please change another HDD and test again.

My questions to these suggetsions:

Q: Do you mean using the 'jumper' to clear the Real Time Clock RAM

Q: How can I download the latest version of the BIOS when no operating system and m'board drivers are installed? I would have to do this via my current system, but then how do I get it from there to the new systems-build? By USB data stick?

Q: What exactly do you mean by '... your system must be maintained without interference...' ?

Q: How would taking the m'board out of the case make any difference?

Edited: 08/29/2011 at 12:08 AM by a.jenery
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information