Increase font size
Topic Title: "fresh thermal pad"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 05/28/2004 08:03 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 05/28/2004 08:03 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
wuziq

hello, I had to RMA my motherboard which involved removing the heatsink and CPU. Now I have to reinstall them, but the AMD installation guide says to use a "fresh thermal pad." Where do I get these thermal pads?

Also, I was wondering if I should use Arctic Silver instead of a thermal pad. Would this void my warranty? If it's significantly better AND it doesn't void my warranty, I might use it, unless there's other reasons not to. Are there?

cute smilies
 05/28/2004 08:52 PM

Author Icon
Silk_the_Absent1

Unfortunately, any use of grease or paste will void the warranty, but Compusa does have replacement pads if you are in the USA:

http://www.compusa.com/product...t_in...8621&pfp=BROWSE' ">http://www.compusa.com/product...code=288621&pfp=BROWSE

It's a 3 pack, so you don't have to reorder any time you remove the HSF.

-Adam
 05/28/2004 08:57 PM

Author Icon
CaptainNewbie

QUOTE (wuziq @ May 28 2004, 04:03 PM) hello, I had to RMA my motherboard which involved removing the heatsink and CPU. Now I have to reinstall them, but the AMD installation guide says to use a "fresh thermal pad." Where do I get these thermal pads?

Also, I was wondering if I should use Arctic Silver instead of a thermal pad. Would this void my warranty? If it's significantly better AND it doesn't void my warranty, I might use it, unless there's other reasons not to. Are there?

cute smilies
Arctic Silver is SIGNIFCANTLY better than the wax pads that AMD specifies as their standard cooling solution. However, the use of it will void your warranty as mentioned.

Clean the mating surfaces (CPU die and heatsink, preferrably removing aforementioned CPU from socket prior to cleaning) prior to mounting the new pad and the 'sink.

-------------------------
Captain Newbie - Resident Smart-Aleck
The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyone cool...except for me, of course.
The Keys to Knowledge are found in Books.
 05/28/2004 09:02 PM

Author Icon
wuziq

ok.. well, i don't want to void my warranty just yet.. so i think i'll get a thermal pad. should i worry about differences between pads? i'm kinda iffy about compusa.. how about this? thermal pads from performance-PCs.com' ">http://www.performance-pcs.com...b9eff39ced2f2dc6fa1399

thanks again..
 05/28/2004 10:22 PM

Author Icon
Aubrey

Looks like the real deal to me!

( Quote )
Possession of a powerful computer is no substitute for a working brain.
A working brain is no substitute for possession of a powerful computer.
 05/29/2004 01:52 AM

Author Icon
CaptainNewbie

QUOTE (wuziq @ May 28 2004, 05:02 PM) ok.. well, i don't want to void my warranty just yet.. so i think i'll get a thermal pad. should i worry about differences between pads? i'm kinda iffy about compusa.. how about this? thermal pads from performance-PCs.com' ">http://www.performance-pcs.com...b9eff39ced2f2dc6fa1399

thanks again..
Them's fine.

Captain Newbie - Resident Smart-Aleck
The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of anyone cool...except for me, of course.
The Keys to Knowledge are found in Books.
Statistics
112018 users are registered to the AMD Processors forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Contact AMD Terms and Conditions ©2007 Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. Privacy Trademark information